Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Does this sound like dairy sensitivity?

Hi, ladies! I've never posted in this forum before, but I'm hoping you ladies have some input for me.

I think my newbie (7 wks) may have a dairy sensitivity. She has a recurrent gooey eye and congested nostril, and I can't get rid of the green poops. It was helping a little to feed her from the same side for 2 consecutive feedings, but that doesn't seem to help anymore and her poops have been increasingly mucousy. She's not fussy or particularly gassy though. What do you ladies think?

Advertisement

Little girl, Seren Elise, born at home 11/18! Birth Story
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does this sound like dairy sensitivity?

My lo wasn't particularly fussy or gassy either. There are many different ways that food sensitivities can "manifest". The only way to tell is to cut it from your diet & see what happens. Just know that it can take 2 to 3 wks for the proteins to clear out of the body so the symptoms can go away.

My lo had green, mucusy poops that became explosive & was literally blistering her bottom (even tho I changed immediately). When I eliminated dairy, I could tell in 3-5 days that this was improving. However, I also noticed that she had become "rattley" in her chest (she wasn't sick). Getting rid of dairy didn't take care of it, so I started experimenting. It only went away & stayed away when I also took out gluten & eggs. In that process, there were other minor symptoms that cleared - that even after 3 other babies I thought were fairly "normal" things. She had been sleeping like a champ thru the night & when I pulled those foods, she began to wake up for night feedings (found a website that listed excessive sleepiness as a symptom. With a nb how can you tell?). She had also become super drooly, going thru at least 4 bibs a day. This also almost completely went away, despite teething. Again, another symptom I found was excessive drooling; and again, how can you know w/a baby what is "excessive". Other than that, she wasn't fussy or particularly gassy, almost no spit up, no signs of acid reflux... She was the easiest nb I've had (out of 4).

Anyway, you have nothing to lose by experimenting with eliminating common allergens. It can be a bit long & certainly frustrating, but such a relief when the symptoms dramatically improve/go away. There are numerous websites w/info on ways to try & narrow down what may be causing the symptoms. I think that I did a search for food allergies in newborns/breastfeeding infants. It's been exactly 2 yrs ago that this happened to me. She was 3 mos old.

Oh, and the silver lining for me is that I lost tons of weight w/o even trying! I'm finally the size I've wanted to be for the past 15 yrs

Hope some of that helped!
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to add that it took a good solid month for DS to do better once I eliminated all dairy. So sometimes it takes awhile to be able to tell if it's really helping or not. The experimenting part is hard.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

I made it through my 1st nondairy day

Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, I've dealt with a LOT of food allergies with my two girls, but neither of them had a problem with dairy.

Keep a food diary along with eliminating dairy. You'd keep track of what you ate, and how your baby was feeling each day. It made it very easy to see what things were part of the problem. I definitely saw a difference within 3 days, and complete relief of symptoms by 4-6 weeks.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
ashley0314
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dairy can take up to two weeks to clear out of your system and then another to fully clear out of LO's system. You could try doing a complete elimination diet (google it) and start from there and slowly add things back in. It is very hard though so make sure you have support! My LO has problems with dairy and soy and I have been dairy and soy free for almost 5 months. He's a different baby so it is definitely worth it!!
ashley0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She may very well have some sort of dietary sensitivity causing the gross diapers, but the eye sounds like a blocked tear duct. Pretty common, usually corrects itself by their first birthday. There's nothing you can do about the eye except keep it cleaned up and wait. As for the diapers, yeah, start eliminating things and see if it gets better.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
MamaJax2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Keep in mind it can take as long as a week or two for things to work out of her system.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Ds has a dairy allergy. we are still working past it but the way I confirmed was to eliminate dairy for about 2.5 weeks, then I cheated one day and had cheese at lunch and dinner. The next 24 hours were terrible. The blood was back in his stool (worse than before) and he basically cried for 24 hours. It seemed going back on it made his reaction worse, but at least I know what the trouble is. Good luck. Dairy free is the hardest thing I have ever had to do!! We are not thinking he might also have a soy sensitivity.

His symptoms were:

Gas (tons)
Mucous And blood filled stool
Fussiness
Reflux
Blisters around his anus
A red ring allergy rash

Hope that helps!
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
Ds has a dairy allergy. we are still working past it but the way I confirmed was to eliminate dairy for about 2.5 weeks, then I cheated one day and had cheese at lunch and dinner. The next 24 hours were terrible. The blood was back in his stool (worse than before) and he basically cried for 24 hours. It seemed going back on it made his reaction worse, but at least I know what the trouble is. Good luck. Dairy free is the hardest thing I have ever had to do!! We are not thinking he might also have a soy sensitivity.

His symptoms were:

Gas (tons)
Mucous And blood filled stool
Fussiness
Reflux
Blisters around his anus
A red ring allergy rash

Hope that helps!
This does help. I just don't know if it is a sensitivity or not, as the only thing that points to it is the mucousy/ green poops. She is not fussy or gassy at all. I am going to sticky w/ the no dairy for the whole 2-3 wks though. I suspect she had some sensitivity to tomato as well, since one night i had seconds of very saucy pasta, and she was pretty fussy the next day. But the yucky poops happen more often than just when I eat marinara sauce, so I'm just going to see what happens.