Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

asthma meds and bedwetting, experiences?

Littlest Rockstar is turning 4 next week and has been potty trained since 26months during the day. She was about 3 1/2 when she started being dry at night(so the end of this summer). She spent 2 months or so fully dry with no accidents at night over the summer when she was not sick. Now that winter is here and she's requiring increased dosages of all her meds, she's wetting the bed at least 2-3 times a week or more. I'm actually getting covers in the mail from a friend and sewing up some flats tonight. She's gonna be so sad. But I can't keep changing her sheets AND mine everyday when she wets both our beds. But anyway, she's been on pulmicort since before her second birthday once a day. She has been on twice a day pulmicort since October and a few times a week she's still needing albuterol for wheezing/coughing, mostly at night. I'm not sure if the pulmicort or the albuterol is causing this because I see little blurbs here and there in my research about both causing bedwetting in potty trained kids. Anyone go through it? We are trying to get Xopenex approved through the insurance right now to see if that lessens the times she wets or if it's no change and we can assume it's the pulmicort or unrelated to meds. I guess I'm just looking for others who've been trhough this. She's going to be very upset with me when I ask her to wear a diaper at night again.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Twinvillageiowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: asthma meds and bedwetting, experiences?

Wow, I never knew about the connection. Both DDs were dry for about 2 months and then started wetting again. We didn't start their asthma meds until the last few weeks, but I wonder if this is why they are peeing so much more.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinvillageiowa View Post
Wow, I never knew about the connection. Both DDs were dry for about 2 months and then started wetting again. We didn't start their asthma meds until the last few weeks, but I wonder if this is why they are peeing so much more.
just do a google search on bedwetting and pulmicort or albuterol. Or whatever med they are on. At first I thought it was loss of bladder control from excessive coughing but some nights it didn't seem to fit. Turns out there's a link between pulmicort and bedwetting. Albuterol not AS much but it's out there on the internet.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:

My son is on Singulair, Pulmicort and Xoponex for his asthma, but we have never had any side effects.

I hope this passes!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I didn't realize it might be related, but my child had the same issue. We eventually just had him drink lots during the day and cut off liquids after 6 or 7 (I can't remember which). This helped a ton. Not even soup for dinner. Now that he's older (10 now) it's not an issue.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmm..DD just came off twice a day pulmicort now that she is better again but I have noticed her urge to go pee seems a lot stronger. She actually did have an accident the other day but we haven't had any night wetting. I would say it is definitely a possibility that it's all related
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is 5 and on flovent. He wets the bed nightly