Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
5month old only eating 4x a day?

So.......I think its best to tell you background first. DS is just over 5 months old and has slept thru the night since the hospital (10p-7a). He even put himself on a schedule that you could set your watch to. He ate at 7a, 10a, 1p, 4p, 7p, 10p until early Nov when we dropped the 10p.
Well, now he has been going longer between feedings, so he only eats 4x a day (7a, 11a, 3p, 7p). He is EBF, no solids yet, no formula. He has gained weight steadily (he was about 14lbs, 12oz last week). His ped said he is healthy and looks good. He is staying awake longer to, so no extra naps or anything (he naps about 25-30min before each feeding). No fever, he isn't acting sick or distressed.
So I guess what I would like to know is if this is normal or should I be concerned? He nurses every feeding but the last one when he gets a bottle with about 5oz, so I don't know how much he is actually intaking. We get one poo most days, his diaper seems sufficiently wet with most changes. How long he eats varies...sometimes 10 min, sometimes 15-20.
If this is normal, how do I keep up my supply? I plan on BFing for as long as I can. I only pump 1x in the morning and the 1x at night to make up for his bottle.
Any advice would help!

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
MamaJax2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He's fine. Its normal to go longer as they get older...as long as he seems healthy, which he sounds to be. As for your supply...are you wanting to pump the extra to freeze for later or are you afraid of it drying up before he's ready to wean? The later I wouldn't worry about much. Your body regulates to whatever schedule he may be on...and it fluctuates with him. As long as he is nursing there will be milk. If you want to pump it, well obviously doing so more often. Also try almond products (milk, butter, or just the nuts). Also fenugreek or mothers milk tea. Personally I love the tea! Lots of water...and oatmeal helps make milk too.

Hope that helps some! Om on my phone so please excuse auto correct. Lol!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5month old only eating 4x a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJax2010 View Post
He's fine. Its normal to go longer as they get older...as long as he seems healthy, which he sounds to be. As for your supply...are you wanting to pump the extra to freeze for later or are you afraid of it drying up before he's ready to wean? The later I wouldn't worry about much. Your body regulates to whatever schedule he may be on...and it fluctuates with him. As long as he is nursing there will be milk. If you want to pump it, well obviously doing so more often. Also try almond products (milk, butter, or just the nuts). Also fenugreek or mothers milk tea. Personally I love the tea! Lots of water...and oatmeal helps make milk too.

Hope that helps some! Om on my phone so please excuse auto correct. Lol!
Thanks mama! I will pick up some tea, I love drinking tea, esp in the winter! I don't have a need to freeze extra, just every now and again for date night. I figured he would tell me when he was hungry, it just took me off guard, but he is a LO that knows what he wants!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

There is a good chance at 6 months he'll switch it up, if not, how lucky are you?! It sounds like he is getting enough from his feedings. Good luck.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaner View Post
There is a good chance at 6 months he'll switch it up, if not, how lucky are you?! It sounds like he is getting enough from his feedings. Good luck.
We are pretty lucky...we have a very chill, go-with-the-flow baby! I can handle him switching up his feedings again, just hope he doesn't wean himself off me too soon