Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Sigrid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ADHD and meds

Hello all,
We recently received the diagnosis of showing all the signs for adhd, Dr. said that they do not diagnosis adhd yet as DS is only 4, almost 5. She (Dr. ) is focusing on behavioural therapy, SLP, and OT right now. Which is all good and helping, but most days not enough to help DS control himself. Our afternoons and evenings are especially a trial right now. I am working on changing our diet to see if that helps as well. My question is for those of you whose children are on meds for ADHD when did you start? At what age did it help? I have been putting off meds thinking it was best to wait as long as possible, but some days my sanity thinks meds would be a good thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
ralenth
Registered Users

Re: ADHD and meds

We didn't start until he was 8, and in 2nd grade. He wasn't diagnosed until the end of 1st grade, though. We gave it 6-9 months after diagnosis, then went with meds. How long has he been doing OT? That REALLY helped with body control (and was a big thing he worked on in private OT... school provided sensory breaks for him through out the day that also helped regulate his body "speed"). Behavior therapy really didn't help until he was on meds. I've noticed big differences of late, with therapy. honestly? Even on meds, nights are a HUGE stressor for us. His meds have worn off, he's had a long day at school, and we often have things going on (homework is awful). Good luck!
ralenth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
tasundance
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ds is 6 will be 7 in April and he started meds this last October. So he was 6 years 6 months. We started all forms of testing at 4 years 5 months when he started a half day preschool program and that continued through all day kindergarten. We tried therapy, behavior class type stuff and diet changes. He NEEDED the meds. The change from Oct 4th to Oct 5th was night and day. I did not want meds but after nothing else working we decided to do a trial and we havent looked back. His test scores from the 1st of the year to know have gone up an avg of 58%. We are very happy with all the school services as well as help from his ped. We still have some off nights since meds start to wear off around 6ish but now that dh is done with night school its much easier to keep to the schedule.

IMO I wouldnt start meds any sooner than 6 to 7 years old as some of the side affects can be hard for younger children to tell you about.
Tricia~31 Married for 13 years to Chad~36. Semi Crunchy mama to Aurora~12, Ethan~10, Jacob~8, Annika~5, Makenna~4, Niko James~3, Cyrus~1 and blessing #8 due 10/10/15

Last edited by tasundance; 01-12-2012 at 07:02 PM.
tasundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I agree with waiting. The meds aren't even approved for under 6. I get really upset when doctors prescribe them to little ones. The side effects aren't worth it. My dd started therapy around four and meds at six. Hang in there, there is no magic solution.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Sigrid
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Mamas! It has been a hard week with getting back into routine and I know it will get better once things smooth out again. I think we will need to start prepping ahead for holidays and adding structure to them so that it is not such a big transition back to school. We were very laid back the last 2 weeks as we were all on holiday and it was nice to relax.
DS has been seeing SLP for 9 months and it has made a huge difference. He is just starting to see the OT, but I am really hoping to get lots of ideas and techniques from her. I know therapy will make a big difference, because when we stick to structure and our own behaviour therapy parenting techniques it makes a big difference. That is why we are really hoping that he will be able to learn to cope without the meds. Just some days are harder to get through and I wonder, KWIM.

Thanks for the support!