Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Mom's to boys with add or adhd?

This is long but I will try to make it short so bear with me please
My 7 year old son has not done very well in school well since it began. He never thrived in preschool his teachers then were concerned but not too concerned just yet. Kinder came and went I knew he was having trouble but I really felt like he still had a chance. 1st grade came and thats when we started tutoring,alternative homework assignments to not overwhelm him and let him focus on the smaller things. We tried sports he would be the kid in the back of the field walking around drinking water when all the other kids were up front trying to kick the ball. We decided sports was not gonna work. He did summer school and lots of more tutoring at home. We moved and here we are mid semester of 2nd grade. 1st day of school this year I made an appt for a confrence. Me and his teacher have been working closely and using all our resources to help him catch up and stay caught up. He was in intervention at school twice a week he would meet with his teacher and they would work on skills that she was aware he was very weak in which at this point is everything but espeically reading. He also attends a afterschool program M-f they do homework help, group language and math, and also outdoors sports and activites ie: gardening, outdoor art, lots of amazing things. I thought for sure things would get better this year. Well here we are mid year his test scores improved a few percentages but not close enough for him to be caught up or stay caught up. We discussed last confrence for him to be evaluated for learning disabilites teacher recommended pedi. I took him in for physical everything is ok physically she refers me to state mental health dept to further evaluate they ask me ?'s come to a conclusion they cannot help he is mentally healthy. Im back at the school asking for help actually waiting to hear from school counselor. Im just going in circles here. Let me tell you a lil about his behaivor this week which is sudden and unexpected.
Monday- takes dad's cell phone to school lies about it in class to his teacher about how it got in his pocket.

Tues- He "kicks" shoe onto school roof janitor has to go up and get it turns out he threw it up there.

Yesterday- Witness kids say he was name calling a boy the boy got upset and punched my son and both get suspended. ( My son said that the boy started it I dont even know the truth I want to beleive my son but his recent lash of lies Im just not sure anymore)

other things that have been going on at home with lying He cut his lil brothers hair lied about it, He lied about taking a shower, He lied about cutting the shoelaces off his brand new shoes,

He does other things like holds his pee to the very last minute, He forgets easily, When he is still he still is kinda jittery like he will dance in place??, He has been extra aggresive towards his lil brother like picks on him for no reason. I can totally see these things being the "norm" 7 year old but all of this ontop of his school work I feel like he maybe crying for attention?? We do have a new baby in the house but hes so excited about that he is very helpful with his new baby brother he begs to hold him and help change his diaper and whatever he can do to help he is willing which is really cool but I just want him to relax sometimes not worry about the baby so much he prefers to stay inside and hang out with the baby than be outside playing these days. Hes not depressed or sad looking he eats very picky but he eats. I just want to rule out and possibilites of learning disorders I feel like Im not getting the help to get him tested his school sends me here they send me there its just a big circle. I want answers and I would appreciate any insight or ideas on what I can do to get some help.

Francine,Momma to N 6/10/04, A 3/12/09,Ethan James newbie on 9/21/11Happily in love to L

Last edited by frenchyloveslarry; 01-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.
frenchyloveslarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Mom's to boys with add or adhd?

HUGS... that sounds rough.

If you want him tested by the school, put it in writing. They have to at least have a meeting with you to discuss whether or not testing would be appropriate. (It's called a disposition meeting and they are required by law to have one if you request testing in writing.) Good luck at getting him the help he deserves.
jennyfa is offline   Reply With Quote