Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone not send their child to private preschool?

We won't. We never did. Our girls did go to our on-campus daycare while I was in class and DH was at work.
We simply can't afford private daycare, but I wouldn't do it anyways.
We go to toddler events at the library where DS gets interaction with other kids. Plus, any morning at the library always has kids his age there reading and playing.

Advertisement

trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did home school preschool from 2 until 4. At 4 dd went into 3 day a week for 2 hours a day public preschool. Its part of our public school system and tuition is charged. I wanted her to get use to a "real" school setting before starting kindergarten. She LOVES it. Even though we did circle time, story time and way more crafts then they they is something about doing it in a room full of schools. Their coursework ins't as advanced as some of what we were doing at home, but its sufficient. We still do some work at home (I had already ordered her books when dh suggested we put her in preschool to get used to "real" school), just not as much as we would. She loves school both real and at home. She has picked up some behaviors I'd rather she hadn't, but it was going to happen at some point. There are things that as a preschool they can do that me as an individual parent can't really. Particularly with field trips. At home preschool we did go to museums, zoos and things, but as a preschool they have access to more in the museums and zoos. And like their recent fire station field trip- got to do more then if I brought her in on my own. She is very happy with school.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
3Daisies
Registered Users

Thank you for the replies. If I do anything, I think it will be preschool 2-3 days a week after she turns 4, just so she wil get used to being away from me and in a school type setting. My fear is that suddenly starting kindy, all day 5 days a week will be traumatic if all she's ever known is being home with me. OTOH, if I can find social activites for her to get involved in (besides our weekly library story time), then I may consider that sufficient enough "group" time. For example, I know the local art institute has a week long workshop for kids each summer. If I could find other social activites like this where I drop her off for a couple of hours, then I might think that's sufficient....as long as I'm doing a homeschool preschool curriculum at home so she's not behind her preschool-prepped kindy peers.