Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
does BF while pregnant increase risk for MC?

I just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant. I will breastfeed my 21 month old son a few times a day. My last 2 kids were 36 weekers, and I'm nervous that BFing may increase risk of MC or pre term labor. Will it for me? Help!

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: does BF while pregnant increase risk for MC?

i don't think so. maybe if you have a history of miscarriages? i breastfed through half of my last pregnancy. i was EBF dd#1 at 4 months when i became pregnant again. i continued to nurse her until she was 8 1/2 months and only stopped because she wasn't getting enough milk and since she still relied on it for nutrition (being under 1) i switched to formula. had a completely healthy pregnancy. people nurse through pregnancies all the time.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you have a history of PTL or high risk pregnancies, then it can be slightly risky to nurse through pregnancy. Most women have no problem with it, though. I nursed throughout my second pregnancy and my DS was born at 40+6--no PTL here!

Check with your health care provider for advice in your particular situation.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will be talking to my midwife after I get my quant on Monday. My last quant was low (had it ordered by my dr). I've had bleeding, so it's a waiting game until then. Sigh. I hope all is ok.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY
I will be talking to my midwife after I get my quant on Monday. My last quant was low (had it ordered by my dr). I've had bleeding, so it's a waiting game until then. Sigh. I hope all is ok.
I hope everything is ok, mama. I have had four pregnancies begin while nursing. Two ended in early (6 weeks or less) m/c's. My ob assured me nursing had nothing to do with these m/c's happening. I was glad I didn't wean right away upon finding out I was pregnant, as it would have been "for nothing."
I also had some bleeding early on with my last pregnancy, but I went on to have a healthy son. So nerve wracking, although I guess it was just breakthrough bleeding. I hope you get some positive answers soon!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's safe. Try finding a copy "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" it answers just about every question about bf while preggo.

And since your body is used to nursing it shouldn't induce PTL. Much like someone who always eats spicy food is used to the heat.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote