Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Kayla1981
Registered Users
seller

Re: fibronectin positive cervix thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
That could be very true about the medication. My brother's wife had twins last year. I do know that at the hospital she was at they did use terb and procardia. But had she been at my brother's hospital (he is an OB) - it is a teaching hospital - she would not have been given those medications. His hospital was more cutting edge and current being a teaching hospital. The one she delivered at was more traditional.

As far as the FFN they typically do it up until you would be into the 34 week window. They use it to determine whether to administer the steroid shots. If you are past 34 weeks they don't give the steroid shots for lung maturity - so they don't do the FFN.
That would explain why my Peri stopped doing them at 34 weeks then!

To the OP, I know that no one wants their baby to be born early but it's great that you are just about 35 weeks. We were very fortunate that our 36 weeker did not need any medical intervention except for giving her formula because of low blood sugar. That's not what I wanted but honestly, I was so out of it right after my c/s that I didn't even know what was going on. She only spent about 6 hours in the NICU and then she came to be with us and I was able to start breastfeeding.

Again, I know that no one wants an early baby but at least you are far enough along that your baby will likely do very well and need minimal, if any, intervention. And, you may not go into labor for weeks! You may have a full term baby in the end. Wishing you the best!

Advertisement

Last edited by Kayla1981; 01-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Kayla1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama's, just letting you know that I am moving this thread to the pregnancy forum.
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

I was first checked at 28 weeks and my cervix was already starting to change (funneling and soft). I had started having contractions much before that though, maybe closer to 22 weeks? Anyways, I had a positive fetal fibronectin test at 31 weeks. I wasn't put on any type of medications, but was put on modified bedrest. We took it day by day, hoping he'd bake a little longer. We set up mini goals, with our ultimate goal of getting him to 34 weeks. He was born 24 mins. shy of his due date.

Good luck! Try to take it easy and I hope your little one continues to bake!
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla1981 View Post

I started having episodes of contractions at 19 weeks with my daughter. I went to the ER at least 3 times because I was having too many in a certain amount of time. My uterus was very active but, thankfully, my cervix did not change until some time after 34 weeks. I was treated with 17P shots (but they start those much ealier in pregnancy) and Terbutaline (which is no longer used in pregnancy). I had my last appointment with the Perinatologist at 34 weeks and that last fetal fibronectin test came back negative. I went into full on labor at 36 weeks exactly and my daughter was born at that time.
I didn't know Terb. was not used anymore.. I had it 3 years ago with my DS and 5 years ago with my DD.... Having contractions again but dr. doesn't wanna do anything yet (my last two made it to 37weeks) since I"m not dialating with regular contractions...