Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Encouraging Sick Baby to Nurse?

4 month DD has a yucky virus (fever, cough, etc.) right now. I'm trying to make sure she nurses frequently to keep her hydrated, but she feels so yucky that she's disinterested. She'll nurse well for about 5 minutes then either fall back asleep or just unlatch and stare at me. Usually she nurses really well, both sides. Any tips on encouraging her to nurse when she feels so yucky?

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Encouraging Sick Baby to Nurse?

My little one is getting over a cold and I needed to use saline drops and suck out his nose really well to get him to nurse, he still would not nurse as well but longer, he was like that for a couple days then got back into full nursings, hang in there and hope you little one feels better soon!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Use saline and suction nose before naps and bed. If she only nurses 5 minutes and she usually does longer, I would offer the same side 2-3 times in a row to make sure she gets enough hindmilk. And offer offer offer.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nursing well for 5 minutes at a time is better than my LO did when she got a yucky virus at 4 months old (who recovered fine, with many nursing offerings even though she was vomiting for days), good luck!
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

We are dealing with same thing with an ear infection. I agree with the others, offer a lot. I try to keep in mind that when I am sick my appetite is not what it normally is. As long as there are plenty of wet diapers I know he is getting enough.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree-make sure you clear her nose and sit her as upright as you can to nurse. If she won't latch at all or you she isn't wetting enough diapers, you can always pump or hand express some milk and offer it with a syringe (that way you control how fast she gets the milk and you don't have to worry about confusion).

Also, what mgl said...she probably doesn't have much appetite if she feels bad. She may marathon nurse once she is feeling better!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
NatashaCory1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I got nothing else to add that these other lovely ladies havnt said. But I do hope your lo gets better quickly!

Im a sahm, wife to a pudgy dork that I love, addicted to cloth , no where near as crunchy as many moms, tattooed, grease monkey with a tool belt.
NatashaCory1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaCory1
I got nothing else to add that these other lovely ladies havnt said. But I do hope your lo gets better quickly!
Thank you
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, and if you're needing relief or worried about your supply tanking due to lack of demand, feel free to pump as needed. Just don't pump so much that it's hard for your LO to get a quick let down if they decide they do want to nurse.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80
Oh, and if you're needing relief or worried about your supply tanking due to lack of demand, feel free to pump as needed. Just don't pump so much that it's hard for your LO to get a quick let down if they decide they do want to nurse.
I was getting concerned about supply today--will pump a little in between tomorrow, for sure!