Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting school right after due date?!? Crazy?!?

Won't going to school actually cost more? 4 children in daycare isn't cheap, often times people find just that cost alone makes it not worth working outside the house. And thats not to mention the precious time you will miss being with your children. They grow up so fast, and every day is so special. Is there anything you can cut to save some money? Cable? Internet? Cell phones? anything you can sell on eBay or Craigslist to make a little money and get caught up on bills? Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He has some great idea on how to pay down debt and stay afloat.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
srpettitt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I could do it. Does the program only start in the fall, or can you start in the spring as well? That would at least give you a little adjustment time first.

Also, is it financially reasonable to go to school? I'm not sure what your hubby's schedule is and if he will be available to take care of the kids, but daycare adds up in a hurry...and so do school costs. I think if I were considering going back to school I would have to run some serious numbers, not just for the during school time, but for the job you will be able to get after you are done with school. Will it be profitable to have 3-4 kids in childcare while you work or not. To me it is not worth just barely making more than childcare costs and missing out on the time while my kiddos are at home.

Don't think I'm trying to discourage you though! Just make sure you think about the whole picture. Is your hubby almost done with school? Maybe he can just take extra classes to be done sooner/get a better job sooner? I'm not sure what your long-term family/work goals are either. If nursing is something that you plan on doing at some point anyhow, I would consider it more, but if you would like to stay home, then I would try and make that work first by cutting other costs, etc.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah
Won't going to school actually cost more? 4 children in daycare isn't cheap, often times people find just that cost alone makes it not worth working outside the house. And thats not to mention the precious time you will miss being with your children. They grow up so fast, and every day is so special. Is there anything you can cut to save some money? Cable? Internet? Cell phones? anything you can sell on eBay or Craigslist to make a little money and get caught up on bills? Have you ever heard of Dave Ramsey? He has some great idea on how to pay down debt and stay afloat.
Well, if I go to school (and actually I forgot this but if I go to work too) then we can get reduced day care from this head start. It's a Native American tribe that hubby and the kids are members of. So we could get either free or reduced child care and I would put my 3 youngest in there and my oldest could go there for free because she is in head start. It's a head start/daycare together.

I have heard of Dave Ramsey and I sort of know how he works, but we are pretty much doing things like that. We need Internet for dh's online school. We could cut out Hulu and Netflix cell phones are on the lowest plan possible. And almost everything we have is either 2nd hand or not worth anything to sell that would keep us afloat. I mean, we might could find a few things that would help us initially, but any money we save now wouldn't last us long.

We don't really have debt. No car payments or anything. Well, I forgot, we have a loan that we owe about $4k on and two store credit cards (Walmart and best buy) that we use only around black Friday or Christmas. So we have about $600-$1000 in cc debt right now. But our Walmart cc is also sometimes used for special gas prices and such. We usually pay it all off around tax time, but I don't know about the big loan. We will probably pay off the other debt and just pay extra on it.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
SqueakersMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about costs at all. There are an unbelievable amount of programs available to help with school, childcare, and living expenses. I am more than happy to help you find some or give you a list of resources you can start on to make it happen if you want to pm me. Money should never be a reason not to go back to school imo because there are so many ways to cover the costs.

If your goal is to stay home and make that work there are ways to do that, too - Dave Ramsey is one of them. BUT - if your ultimate goal is to go to school and have a career, that can be done, too! I think that either way you can have a wonderful relationship with your children, and either way you can set a great example for them - especially of how diversified parenting (specifically mothering) can be. You are not less of a mother or sacrificing time with your children if you have a career. Yes, children grow up fast and the time flies by. All the more reason for them to have a happy mom who is showing them how to pursue their dreams!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpettitt
I don't think I could do it. Does the program only start in the fall, or can you start in the spring as well? That would at least give you a little adjustment time first.

Also, is it financially reasonable to go to school? I'm not sure what your hubby's schedule is and if he will be available to take care of the kids, but daycare adds up in a hurry...and so do school costs. I think if I were considering going back to school I would have to run some serious numbers, not just for the during school time, but for the job you will be able to get after you are done with school. Will it be profitable to have 3-4 kids in childcare while you work or not. To me it is not worth just barely making more than childcare costs and missing out on the time while my kiddos are at home.

Don't think I'm trying to discourage you though! Just make sure you think about the whole picture. Is your hubby almost done with school? Maybe he can just take extra classes to be done sooner/get a better job sooner? I'm not sure what your long-term family/work goals are either. If nursing is something that you plan on doing at some point anyhow, I would consider it more, but if you would like to stay home, then I would try and make that work first by cutting other costs, etc.
The program only starts in either July or August, depending on full or part time status. I wish it would start in spring too!

I think I explained a little in my last post that I could get assistance for daycare while we are both working/in school and school is covered for him completely and I could get financial aid for mine. As for the job afterward, I would basically be working 12 hour shifts 2-4 days a week. I think it's usually 2-3 days a week but sometimes you can pick up an extra one, be on call, etc. plus, occasionally my kids could stay with relatives or hubby while I'm at work, but it would all depend on dh's schedule and mine and I would only let them stay with relatives occasionally, as none of them really have the same values as I and would allow my kids to run amuck and snack on candy before dinner, etc. something that's okay every now and then, but NOT full time....

Hubby just started school and has about 3-4 more semesters to go. I do want to be a nurse and I plan on slooooowly working my way up to some kind of nurse/lactation consultant and possibly even a midwife, but that is definitely a long term goal. I just want to start small like getting to first base rather than hitting a home run.... I understand that one day my kids will grow up and I won't get these moments back, but right now, I really am tired of being a sahm. I hate to say it but I'm just needing more adult contact and more challenge for myself. I feel like I'm turning into nothing....ya know.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
srpettitt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like childcare is not really an issue so that helps a lot! And if going to school to get a good job will make YOU happy, then it is definitely valuable...no matter what! Total bummer that the program doesn't also start in the spring though. It is so hard to plan around a baby...because you don't usually get to plan when they will really come! It would def. be hard to start full time school as you are having a baby...and I'm not sure I could personally handle it, but if you are motivated and have hubby completely on board to help, I think it can be done!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't. Two reasons.

#1 Having a newborn is stressful and unpredictable. I wouldn't want to add the stress of losing a bunch of money on school if it was too much.

#2 I would want to spend all my free time with LO not studying or doing assignments
Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
philenabean
Registered Users

If you think you can do it, I say go for it. It's only a year. Granted, it's going to be incredibly stressful and you'll be absolutely exhausted, but I feel like I could do anything if I knew it would only last a year. The benefits outweigh the risks, in my opinion. Better to get it over with than put it off. There's always a reason to put something off.

ETA- I had PPD combined with sleep deprivation with my first, and I probably wouldn't have made it, but I feel like after you've been through a few newborns, your body just gets with the program faster... JMO!

Last edited by philenabean; 01-16-2012 at 04:03 PM.
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
Aloha Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm in a 2 year RN program & got pregnant w/#2 after my 1st semester. So I haven't actually had baby yet, but when I do I'll have a few weeks & another semester to go. I would consider doing it part time. I know its frustrating to make it take longer, but when you are balancing a family & school, a few hours a week is a lot. It's hard to find the motivation to study sometimes when you're tired & you might be more successful in the school by taking it a little slower. It really is all about finding YOUR balance. My thresholds are.different than yours, so you have to ask yourself what you can handle realistically. You want to make sure you're happy, you're family is taken care of & you're successful. You can do it, but there's also no shame in waiting or going part time if that is best. Good Luck to you!

About-to-be-RN mommy to my Sweet 1 (ds 5/11/06) & Sweet 2 (dd 3/30/12)
Aloha Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for all your help ladies!!!