Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
2peanuts1pumpkin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Incredibly discouraged...

So, baby was born on on Thursday night, 1/12. I was having nipple pain when he nursed from the get-go (I posted about this a few days ago). The lactation consultant in the hospital thought his latch was fine though. Well, things progressed to the point that by Monday, my nipples were bleeding (despite using a ton of Lansinoh) and nursing was excruciating. Additionally, my milk was coming in and although baby was almost constantly at the breast, they continued to get more and more engorged.

Monday night, I finally got a hold of the LC where I delivered, who recommended I pump for the next few feedings to give my nipples a break, and shells to keep my clothes from sticking to my nipples (so gross).

Yesterday, I saw the LC in my ped's office. She thought that maybe my nipple was a little to big for the baby's mouth. So, we tried nipple shields which did allow me to nurse nearly pain free, but she weighed the baby before and after nursing (both with and without shields) and baby isn't actually transferring in any milk. So she recommended pumping for now, and putting him to the breast as I can tolerate and I'll see her Thursday. She said that his anatomy just needs to catch up with my anatomy, which may take a few weeks. She promised that she has never had a baby that she couldn't eventually get to latch on successfully.

So for the rest of yesterday I pumped and gave bottles but continued to try nursing, with the shield, before and after bottles. But, now it's getting to the point where he is refusing the breast because he isn't getting anything. My nipples are still very sore as well. I haven't even tried putting him to the breast for the last few feedings because it is so frustrating and depressing.

I have basically been in tears over this since Monday. I'm so afraid I won't be able to breastfeed this baby. I hate pumping. I didn't have any problems at all bf'ing DD, so I totally wasn't expecting to have these issues (my twins were adopted, and preemies, so for them bf'ing just didn't seem like it would work out so I didn't even try to induce lactation, which I feel pretty guilty about).

Anyhow...I don't even know if I'm looking for advice or just to vent or what.

Advertisement

2peanuts1pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Re: Incredibly discouraged...

I am no expert, so take my advice as a layman but the only thing you can really do is nurse to fix it. Try a nurse in, stay in bed with LO all day for a day and do nothing but nurse. Don't pump or offer bottles and see if it improves. It will be a miserable day though.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I agree try a nurse in if you feel comfortable.
As a side note, I gave up trying to nurse DD1 after 4 months of attempting and pumping, because it stressed us both out so much. I had guilt, but it ended up being the right decision. I am still nursing DD2 at 1 year.
Whatever happens, what matters most is you and baby are happy and healthy! Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Incredibly discouraged...

Can you use an SNS with the nipple shield instead of the bottles? I would be concerned about a bottle preference developing. The SNS will allow baby to get what you pump while being at the breast and learning how to nurse.

ETA: you can even use formula in the SNS if you prefer.