Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Congenital curly toe

fascinating.... I, too, googled it. My family has the same issue with pinky fingers. My mom's side, that is. I got it, but my kids seem to not have it. It's mild in our family, though, and is only one of those, "Oh, you got your mom's fingers" things. LOL.

Nancy In love with my DH since 2003, mama to one fabulous kindergartener and one amazing preschooler.
My Ravelry My blog
blossomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
My twins have it, one far worse than the other. We call it his curly toe. One has a 4th toe that completely curls under his other toes. It was like that at birth and we took him to an orthopedic surgeon at 1 and he said the surgery is considered cosmetic as it does effect his walking, running, etc. He's played baseball for 8yrs and ran Cross Country last Fall and plans to join the Track team this Spring.
Kristi, Mommy to Josh & Nick (identical twins 6-97) Nathen (3-02), Joey (2-04), Jacob (11-05) & Aaron (12-11) I sell Tupperware!
"A person's a person, no matter how small..." Dr Seuss
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

As an occupational therapy student, I don't have much hope that the splinting will make any kind of difference (especially since the splint is below the curl ). To the PP who asked "why treat" it's mostly because it's interfering with her gait and functional play skills ... she constantly stops herself to un-overlap her toes. I understand it to be genetic, also - I'm blaming DH's family ...
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

2 of my 3 boys have this. DS1 and DS3. Its from my DH side (a total of 6 of the 9 grandkids on that side have some form of this)...... I honestly don't know what advice to give other than to say And i hope you find something to help her. My oldest is almost 6 and as he has gotten older, the "curling" has lessened so to speak. Its still there for sure, but not nearly as bad. He has not had any issues with walking, running, playing etc so its been left alone. DS3 appear to be the same - unaffected by it. If i DID have a child that was hindered by it i would seek out the best medical advice possible and go with their rec's.
Officially in "mourning".... and
Mags462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Registered Users

My dd has this. She's 3.5 and so far it has not been an issue. Hers is not severe. She is in gymnastics and does not have a problem running. I asked the ped. about it when she was 1ish and was told there was nothing that could be done and if it wasn't hurting her, then not to worry.
Eleanor, mama to Maren (07.05.08) and Grant (10.20.10)
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
formerly t***_m**_r*****

I have never heard of this before but I have it too. I always just thought I had weird toes.
Partner to S
Parental unit to DD (16), DD (11), DS (9).
ms_mcnann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Treasures From Elf View Post
It is called a delta phalanx.

And binding will not help. Seriously. Even with surgery already, my son still needs another surgery or removal of the bone to make his fingers straight.

It takes going in, cutting the growth plate (they are only supposed to be on two sides, in a delta phalanx it is on three) is the only solution. Then they put a pin through the finger/toe and cast it. It leaves a minimal scar and depending on when the surgery is done, depends on whether it takes one or two surgeries. My son was done at 2.5 and it fixed it for a short time and now he is looking at being 16 when he goes for the next surgery.
I thought it was called clinodactyly?

My ds and I both have clinodactyly, and I never thought to correct it. I should take a photo, he has the most adorable curly toe. I have it on my hands and feet, but its not so cute on me.
Wife to my Navy doc, SAHM to 4 (11, 8, 5, 1)
Minniebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
Registered Users
My Mood:

Is this the same thing that is referred to as 'hammer toes'? My mom (68) just had surgery on both her feet to correct this, and her doctor did say it was genetic, but she insists it's from stubbing her toes as a child. I'm just curious if it's the same thing or altogether different.
Mama to Zak(21), Andy(16), stepmama to Dillon(19) and loving being a new mama again to Leela 11/21/07 and Levi 5/19/10. I'm gonna be a Grandma!!! EDD 6/2012
bgb699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

I really need to google this. My DH's toes on both feet except his big toes all look like they have been broken and now curl forward like if he was bending them. He was always told it was because he had such long feet size 15 now and his parents never bought him the correct size shoes as a kid.
Sharon,mom 2 Kaitlyn 19,Tayler 17,Anna 9,wife 2 James 4 yr old lead Teacher at a childcare center.
kattayanna_mom is offline   Reply With Quote