Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #181
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Bumping and subscribing.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #182
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

I'm emailing this to myself to print at work! some great ideas!!

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #183
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

a cheap quick couple of meals I like are
1) cook up a box of mac and cheese ( I gte the white cheddar store barnd, at 79cents a box), when it is near done cooking, stir in 1-1.5 cups of frozen mixed veggies, any kind but I usually use the mix of lima beans/greenbeans/carrot/peas/corn and then when ready drain and stir in a bit of maragrine, milk and the cheese powder crap.

my husband likes to fry up susage and cut it to pieces and add in but I don't eat susage. sometimes I cut up fresh bell peppers and add in after it's drained instead of the frozen veggies.

either way, including the milk and margarine you use it's about 2-4 dollars per dinner and serves the two adults, two big kids and two babies here.

2) 1-2can of tuna, 2 eggs and 1 cup frozen mixed veggies, toss it in a big frying pan and cook it up with a bit of margarine, takes about 10 minutes to cook. serve over rice. (sounds gross but tastes good) and is just a couple bucks a serving too.

another couple cheapies are chickpea salad, just cubed cheese and cut up veggies and apples stirred up with a can of chickpeas (high in protein and fiber!) and tuna casserole, I just cook pasta, toss in the frozen veggies before it finishes cooking, drain together. add a little margarine, mayonaise, ceasaer dressing, some garlic, dill or whatever, a can or two of tuna, sprikle with parmasean cheese or cheddar cheese or both and bake (or not) for about 45 minutes.

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #184
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just tried making this tonight and man is it gooooood!
Mexican Chicken
4-6 boneless chicken breasts, cubed (I actually used 3)
6 corn tortillas cut in bitesize squares (I would probably use 10)
1 4oz can green chiles, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small can evaporated milk(3 or 4 oz?)
3/4 lb grated cheddar cheese (I actually used 4 oz, all I had)

Mix it all up and put in in a dish. Pop it in the oven at 350 till the chicken is done. I served it over brown rice! Man I could eat the whole pan!

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #185
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Swedish Meatballs

1# ground beef or turkey
1 small onion, chopped
2 eggs
1 C. bread crumbs
8 oz. shredded cheddar
1 Can Cream of Celery, reconstituted with 1 Can water

Mix everything except soup, roll into 1-2" balls and brown in large frying pan. Then cover with reconstituted soup, cover, cook on low for 1.5-2 hours.

Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or noodles. YUM!

What about BLT's? Definitely not the healthiest, but they're pretty cheap, just lettuce, tomato, bacon slices, bread and mayo!

Taco Salad

1/2# Ground beef or turkey
1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
taco seasoning + water

Brown meat, drain any grease, add beans and taco seasoning plus water (as directed on package or can) then serve with:

Lettuce
Cheese
Tomatoes
Tortilla chips
Ranch or Thousand Island dressing
Old 07-24-2007, 01:20 AM   #186
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I asked this to pinned..

jen.
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #187
BusyBee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Breakfast for dinner is hubby's fav cheap meal...we also make several of the other recipes already mentioned.
here are a few i didnt see already

homemade cheeseburger mac not sure if it is less than $5, but it has to be close
1/2 lb hamburger/turkey/ect browned
1 lb noodles ... we like the little shells, but they all work equally well
to cooked and drained noodles, add 8 oz of *generic* processed cheese, 4 oz of cheddar and about 1/4 cup of parmesean (totally good with just the processed cheese, but much better with the additional types) or substitute your fav (hubby loves pepper jack added to his)
add milk - I start with 1/2 cup, and usually have to add a bit more to make it nice and creamy....salt/pepper to taste.
once cheese is melted, add cooked hb. we serve with whatever veggies we have on hand

Baked Pork Chops
1-2 lbs of whatever pork chop/loin/ect happens to be on sale
2 cans beef broth, or 3-4 cups homemade/boullion cubes dissolved in water
1 onion chopped tiny (my dd wont eat onions in large pieces)
1-2 boxes any variety stuffing mix or home-made if you prefer

lightly coat pork with flour seasoned with salt/pepper - not trying to make a batter fried chop....just coat with flour, then lightly brown each piece on both sides with a bit of oil or butter in the skillet (medium-high heat) - flour will probably end up stuck to the pan-this is what you want! just trying to get brown-not done all the way.

put pork in an appropriately sized casserole dish and set aside

(medium to med. high heat) in the same skillet, add about 2 tbsp butter and add minced onions - saute until golden brown-they get sweeter the more brown they are...just stop before they are burned.

There should be lots of yummy brown bits in your skillet at this point. turn heat to med-high and add broth, simmer and stir to get all the yummy bits off the bottom (this is called de-glazing as I learned from the Food Network LOL). the flour will help the gravy to thicken in the oven =)
once all the yummy bits are mixed in the gravy, pour everything over the chops and mix around to get the liquid distributed evenly. bake at 350 until chops are no longer pink in the middle (20-45 minutes depending on thickness)

take chops from oven...of gravy is too thin, thicken with a little cornstarch/water or flour/water.....while waiting for chops to cool a bit, make stuffing.
serve a scoop of stuffing with a chop on top, covered in gravy, and whatever veggies you want. to stretch further, we sometimes make up a big batch of mashed potatoes and i make sure to add extra broth for more gravy.
make a "bed" of mashed potatoes, then stuffing, pork and gravy

Mexican Skillet
1/2-1lb hamburger
1-2 cans black beans (drained), 1 can (or 1-2 cups frozen) corn, 1 can whatever kind of tomatoes you like (dont drain)
taco mix or 2 for stronger flavor/larger batch
3 cups dry noodles (i actually make a whole box to stretch further)

there is a one-skillet recipe for this, but i cant find it right now, so here is the alternate version i usually make

cook noodles, drain
brown meat, drain
in the noodle pot, add meat,beans, corn, tomatoes and taco seasoning. add a bit of water if there isnt enough liquid to dissolve taco seasoning. stir in noodles and cook over low heat until everything is nice and hot. if you want, stir in 1/2 cup sour cream after you take it off the heat (we just put it on the side). top with shredded cheedar.
** the recipe I used to create this dish called for pinto or kidney beans-the first time i made it i didnt have either so i used black beans and it was outstanding. the next time, i didnt have black, so i used pinto and it was beyond gross (in our opinions) -same with the kidney....we ended up having sandwiches both times.......the black beans give a dark tint to the whole dish, it doesnt look the greatest, but it is very tasty.to lessen the color bleed, you can rinse the beans**

One-pot Tuna Casserole my 8yo's favorite dinner
1 lb any kind noodles, cooked in water with chicken boullion added for extra flavor-it really does make a difference in the over all flavor- drain and add
2 cans tuna, drained well
1 can cream of whatever soup you want (or make a white sauce with a flour rue and chicken broth for those no-dairy folks)
1 can/1 cup frozen whatever veggies you like - corn and peas both work great
once everything is mixed well and hot, top with shredded cheedar and italian breadcrumbs (i usually dont have any so I dont, but it is good that way) (pop under the broiler if you add breadcrumbs-makes them toasty)

all 4 of these should easily serve a large family... i make these frequently for dinner guests...hungry construction workers (are there any other kind LOL) and always get rave reviews!

enjoy!!
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #188
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm trying to use up things in my cabinets before grocery shopping again, so tonight I whipped up some red beans and rice from what I had on hand:

1 Can Red Beans
1 Can Rotel Tomatoes
1 heaping T. garlic (I buy it jarred, fresh would be cheaper!)
6 strips of bacon, chopped (I had micro-ready, but you could use whatever here, sausage, ham, etc.)
1/2 large onion

I sauted the onion and garlic in a little bit of oil, added the bacon and then the Rotel and Red Beans. Cooked up some rice (I only had white on hand, would have preferred brown!) and served it up. YUM! And CHEAP! We sprinkled a bit of shredded cheddar on top, too. Mmmmmmm!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #189
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cheese/Chicken Quesadillas

YOU'LL NEED:
soft flour tortillas
mexican shredded cheese
tomatos/sour cream (optional)
cooked chicken

Heat stove to Medium heat and place a tortilla on it (soft tortilla) then fill it with shredded mexican cheese. Let that melt then flip it.

Open up tortilla (cheese should be melted) and fill with cooked chicken (I use the canned kind b/c its fast and cheap) Close and cook until tortilla is a little brown. Serve with sour cream & add chopped tomatoes to it if you'd like.

(serve with rice on the side and corn) My 15mth old LOVES them!

(Buy generic )

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 07-26-2007 at 05:43 PM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #190
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjoe_1 View Post
ok I'm busy cutting and pasting these recipes! Thought I might add one of my own... this is awesome awesome stuff!! and so simple.

1-2lbs of beef (I go with the top cuts that are cheap, or stew meat), cut in bitesize peices
1 can of cream of chicken soup (or more depending if you have more meat)
1 packet of onion soup mix

Crockpot on high for 3 or 4 hours...or low for longer. Over rice or noodles! YUMO!!
I'm making this tonight! I did it with 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom (.79/ea) 1 packet onion soup mix (.75) and added about a 1/2 can of water, just to make a bit more gravy, since we're having it over instant mashed taters! It smells SO good in my house! We're gonna have it with biscuits (.50/can) and frozen corn (1.50/bag, we'll eat half) The meat definitely put this meal over $5, but it should feed us for lunches tomorrow, too!