Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
help.. my ds won't take his meds

hes 3 and has bronticitus (sp?) they gave him antibiotics and he won't take them he spits it out. I try mixing it, giving it with maple surup... he won't get better w/o them and the dr said there is nothing else he can take. They are supposed to be cherry but taste like crap..
help me!

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help.. my ds won't take his meds

That's hard. I remember my parents having to hold my brother down and force him to take stuff. They'd squirt a teeny bit in his cheek then blow in his face so he's kind of have to swallow. It was terrible. Got the job done, but it was rough. Still, he's 9 now and no more worse for the wear.

Can you reason with him? Have him take the medicine and he can have a popsicle, etc? I know it's not really the way to go, but whatever gets it down him with the least amount of fight.

I had a 4 year old that had to take meds and I just finally had to tell him to stop. He's a big boy, he has to take his medicine and no amount of screaming, spitting, fit throwing would get him out of it. That the faster he took it, the faster we'd be done and it would be all over. I always had him hold his cup of water/milk/juice so that he could get a big drink as soon as the medicine was swallowed. That worked for him. He was barely 4, I'm not sure how old your 3 year old is.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
Hitchkids
Registered Users

It might be too late since he already thinks it tastes awful, but can you call your local pharmacy and see if they can add flavoring to the medicine? We used to be able to do that when parents asked. Other than that, all I can say is good luck. I hope your will power in the end will out last his. Kids can sure be stubborn little buggers.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Oceanwaveshimd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my dd was 4 she had the most AWEFUL tasting med. for her kidney reflux. Nothing would work, you could taste it in anything. The only thing I found that would drown out the taste was Hershey's chocolate syrup. I mixed a teaspoon full of the med with 2 teaspoons of syrup and she took it on a tablespoon. I hated all the sugar but that's all that worked. Good luck mama, I hope your DS feels better soon!!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try adding his meds to a little bit of Dr. Pepper. Not healthy, I know, but it sure does work. I have told this to a few people and they all said it worked.
It might be worth it to try, it certenly will not hurt. KWIM???
piccolo41099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
That's hard. I remember my parents having to hold my brother down and force him to take stuff. They'd squirt a teeny bit in his cheek then blow in his face so he's kind of have to swallow. It was terrible. Got the job done, but it was rough. Still, he's 9 now and no more worse for the wear.

Yep, I had to do this with my younger dd until just recently. She's 2 1/2 now and easier to reason with. But her allergies were so bad at 9 months to 2 years that she desperately needed her zyrtec to be able to breathe and who's gonna be able to reason with a 9 month old to take medication that tastes horrible. I would lay her on the ground and put her arms down next to her and sit on her chest on her arms and hold her head between my knees and squirt a small amt into her cheek and blow in her face. It surprised her and made her swallow fast. Yeah it's mean. But I did that with her and the little boy I nannied(his mom was the one who taught me to do it, so I did have permission!!!! ) and it worked with both of them. His were more desperate needs as he has more serious medical issues that he needed medicine for but I consider needing allergy meds just to be able to actually nurse a serious problem. It was non-negotiable. You take your meds. I would always pick them up and love them to pieces afterwards(my own daughter nursed and the little boy I watched got his sippy and snuggles) but they had to get their medicine.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

"shirly temple" Riley style! 1/2 sippy cup Sprite,dose of cherry meds and a dash of maraschino cherry juice-or-mix it into 1/2 sippy of apple-cherry juice(old orchard brand) -or-in a pinch cherry koolaid. Riley will fight med-taking to the death but with this he's none the wiser! Works great w/ grape meds+ grape koolaid or grape sparling water too!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
CKMOMMA
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Poor Buddy! With my daughter (almost 3) ,i tell her medicine will make her feel better ,and to hurry and swallow it so it can start working. It works usually! Now i know not all kids are the same. She used to fuss and spit hers out too.

www.brandimorris.scentsy.us
CKMOMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

With my nephew they let him do it himself (with the syringe dropper). He still didn't like it but I guess he likes to have control over it. Then he gets a treat afterward. Plus my sis counts down how many doses he has left so he feels like he's getting somewhere. I think she just puts the numbers on a dry erase board and lets him erase it after each dose.