Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I assume this is normal...

I didn't nurse my first 2 this long so I have no clue but ds is 10 months (next week) and I wouldn't say he's striking or weaning, but he seems to do a lot of "cruise by" nursings where he will practically attack me if I'm sitting on the floor and bury his face into my chest. I let him nurse and he's standing, rolling, and letting go then relatching then pinches me...

So I end the session but 10 minutes later he's doing it again! I've always nursed on demand but it seems lately that he's not taking in the big "meals" like he used to. He LOVES table food and gets one bottle of formula before bed. I don't pump. He will occasionally sttn but mostly he's awake by 2-3 and he nurses the rest of the night since I co-sleep from that point on.

I don't know if my supply has dropped that much or if the one bottle has caused him to be lazy the rest of the time with nursing. I'm okay with adding more bottles if I need to as I don't want to pump at this point. He still has plenty of wet/poopy diapers. We're so close to a year that I don't see a need to switch to bottles, especially because it would need to be a slow transition anyway. Then I would have to figure out how to get him weaned from the bottles.

I'm okay to keep nursing but I'm also okay with weaning.

Anybody got any tips or pointers?

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds like he's wanting to do more exploring. Or maybe turning into a "snacker.". My nursling is 14 mos and this is the longest I've BFed and now that she's walking it's very often (if I'm on the floor) that she does the drive by nursing. LOL. Since she started crawling that is when the Gymnurstics started and it has only continued unless she's tired. My LO never took a bottle or formula so I'd chalk it up to the age... Especially if diapers aren't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I assume this is normal...

Babies become more efficient at this age, so a quick nursing may be plenty to meet his needs. If not, he'll make up for it at night when they world isn't so interesting.

If it bothers you, you can insist on quiet, calm nursing sessions, instead of the acrobatic ones. If baby knows that nursing means sitting quietly, he'll be sure to make the nursing sessions count so he can play when he wants.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I nurse LO around naps because that is when he is the most focused on eating. Otherwise, it is more like you described... drive by, take a suck, walk off, come back, climb across me, take a suck, walk off (over and over and over - lol)

I lay down and nurse him to sleep and then lay down with him when he first wakes up and nurse him before he starts to play. This gives him 4 feedings during the day. Occasionally he'll do one or two more but if I notice he can't focus and just nurse in my lap, I will go lay down with him in the bed for a few minutes just so he can eat. Side-lying has been such a wonderful gift with breastfeeding.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
ERISAmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy
I nurse LO around naps because that is when he is the most focused on eating. Otherwise, it is more like you described... drive by, take a suck, walk off, come back, climb across me, take a suck, walk off (over and over and over - lol)

I lay down and nurse him to sleep and then lay down with him when he first wakes up and nurse him before he starts to play. This gives him 4 feedings during the day. Occasionally he'll do one or two more but if I notice he can't focus and just nurse in my lap, I will go lay down with him in the bed for a few minutes just so he can eat. Side-lying has been such a wonderful gift with breastfeeding.
This. My DD is 9 months and the Nursnastics have already started. We do lots of bed-nursing just to maintain focus.
crunchy-urban-homesteading lifestyle!
ERISAmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nursnastics...love it! So true about the gift of side-lying nursing!