Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about thickening breast milk...

You can buy xantham gum from Bob's red mill. It's fairly expensive but the bag will last you a while. It still works out to be much cheaper than buying Simply Thick which is just made from xantham gum anyways! Surprisingly, xantham gum is actually a natural product and it works much much better than rice cereal for thickening breast milk.

Your lo will be in my prayers. My YDS had the very same issues from birth on and has just now gotten to where he no longer aspirates on thin liquids. It was a long road.

ALSO - do not use a faster nipple if your baby has had a swallow study showing aspiration!!! It defeats the entire purpose of thickening the liquid if you let the liquid come out that fast. I know she will tire out easily because the bottle will be difficult for her to drink but you have to keep offering it again, more frequent smaller feedings will really help reduce the risk of hydration.
Also, I know it seems concerning that she is taking so little fluid but some children don't need as much as others (assuming they aren't dehydrated). Both of my boys NEVER drank more than 18 ounces a day, I was always in constant fear of dehydration but they were OK. Just keep offering the bottle as much as you can.

Advertisement