Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: do you have a sensory kid? i have a question

it can get worse, but then they can outgrow it
My 17 yr old used to throw up if he was eating something smooth (like yogurt) and if there was fruit in it, as soon as he got to the fruit, he would puke (around age 2-4). Even under the age of 10 or so, whenever he ate cereal, he would have to cover his ears. But now, he can and does eat anything, so he either he outgrew his issues or he has learned to cope. We never forced anything on him.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Baby Wear Carriers View Post
Im having issues with my 7-yr-old dd right now...She was doing well and now we're taking huge steps back. Suddenly shes doing this thing where she'll start to eat something and she spits out every bite after she chews it, and the things she will eat(like cereal) she chews until it is liquid...it's very upsetting for me because she is already so tiny. We are tall. She is the most petite-body-wise. (my mother and sister are only 5ft tall and my father is 6'3 which is where I get my 5'9 height, and hubby is 6'1) My oldest dd is very tall and my youngest is my ds(3) who is a giant at 40 inches tall and 38 pounds. And then theres my little Bella, at seven she is still only 36 pounds-weighing LESS than my 3 1/2-yr old ds!!! I was told by peds to try Carnation instant breakfast(choc milk) to try and pump up the calories but it feels like nothings working. And on top of that she's having issues with clothing more than normal- going through a good four outfits and having fits every morning making both her and my oldest late for school...and bedtime is a nightmare because if shes not tucked in JUST right she freaks out-it's emotionaly exhausting
This could also fall into the beginning of ednos (eating disorder not otherwise specified) chew and spit. I started doing this at a very young age (maybe 8 or 9) and I struggled with it for about 20 years before going to therapy and getting help. I still struggle with it, but I am recovered. I wish my mom would have recognized it and helped me when I was young. I have all crowns in the back of my teeth as the stomach acid is awful for your teeth. good luck, mama!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Most of the time, I serve a healthy balanced meal, and they can take it our leave it. I do try to make sure that there is something they will eat there, but I don't make them something separate from what we are eating. I have tried it in the past and it makes mealtime too chaotic and stressful on the whole family. Maybe I am mean, but their doctors have always encouraged this approach. The one told me, "This isn't Burger King. You can't have it your way!"

I think if I had just one it would be ok to cater a little more, but honestly, with three on the spectrum I have to run a tighter ship or things will be chaos. Sometimes they won't eat, and I have learned to be ok with that. I am a huge believer in nutrition and its not something I am willing to compromise much on. Making sure there is some protein, calcium, iron, and a source of Vit A and Vit C usually isn't too hard with a little creativity.

We also do a lot so sneaky stuff to get extra nutrition in them. Here's a smoothie recipe my kids LOVE and honestly has more nutrition than most "dinners" I try to get them to eat!

2 Cups orange juice
2 Cups vanilla rice or soy milk (OR vanilla yogurt/milk if you do dairy)
1 cup frozen blueberries
handful frozen whole strawberries
handful of organic baby spinach
a little sweetener if needed (agave or raw sugar are my faves)
Blend! (its purple not green and you cannot even taste the spinach!) This is the only way we get any "greens" in their diet.

Another favorite is making carrot muffins (take a carrot cake recipe and reduce the sugar, use whole wheat flour, and 1-3 TBS of ground flax seed) My kids won't eat carrots or fish, but they gobble these up like there's no tomorrow and it get them their Vit A and their omega 3's.

Good luck! Food issues are so hard! My oldest is 15 and is a much better eater now than he was in early childhood. He eats a bunch of stuff now, but its been a long road. My 10 year old is right in the thick of it and its hard not to give in to his constant complaints and requests for cereal!
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Maddalena
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver)O(Moon
Most of the time, I serve a healthy balanced meal, and they can take it our leave it. I do try to make sure that there is something they will eat there, but I don't make them something separate from what we are eating. I have tried it in the past and it makes mealtime too chaotic and stressful on the whole family. Maybe I am mean, but their doctors have always encouraged this approach. The one told me, "This isn't Burger King. You can't have it your way!"

I think if I had just one it would be ok to cater a little more, but honestly, with three on the spectrum I have to run a tighter ship or things will be chaos. Sometimes they won't eat, and I have learned to be ok with that. I am a huge believer in nutrition and its not something I am willing to compromise much on. Making sure there is some protein, calcium, iron, and a source of Vit A and Vit C usually isn't too hard with a little creativity.

We also do a lot so sneaky stuff to get extra nutrition in them. Here's a smoothie recipe my kids LOVE and honestly has more nutrition than most "dinners" I try to get them to eat!

2 Cups orange juice
2 Cups vanilla rice or soy milk (OR vanilla yogurt/milk if you do dairy)
1 cup frozen blueberries
handful frozen whole strawberries
handful of organic baby spinach
a little sweetener if needed (agave or raw sugar are my faves)
Blend! (its purple not green and you cannot even taste the spinach!) This is the only way we get any "greens" in their diet.

Another favorite is making carrot muffins (take a carrot cake recipe and reduce the sugar, use whole wheat flour, and 1-3 TBS of ground flax seed) My kids won't eat carrots or fish, but they gobble these up like there's no tomorrow and it get them their Vit A and their omega 3's.

Good luck! Food issues are so hard! My oldest is 15 and is a much better eater now than he was in early childhood. He eats a bunch of stuff now, but its been a long road. My 10 year old is right in the thick of it and its hard not to give in to his constant complaints and requests for cereal!
Thanks for the recepie!!! I got to try this!!!!!
Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote