Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

Embroidery machine

Does anyone have one? How do you like it?

I'm looking into getting one but I have no idea where to start. I'd like to be able to choose a small or large hoop size depending on what I'm doing. And is there a way to make the designs instead of having to buy them.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have the Brother Disney model that is quite a few years old. It has tension issues now when sewing but it still embroiders fine. I bought a new brother for just sewing last year.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Embroidery machine

My Elna Xquisit 1 has 3 hoop settings and came with software to make my own images. LOVE IT! Look for a good brand used machine and I suspect you'll be VERY happy with it.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 10 year old Bernina....it works still (bought it new 10 yrs ago) if I bought a machine now I would get at least a 4x4 & 5x7 hoop, and a machine that can download from the computer (mine uses a card). Check for that if you are buying used or refurbed.

Software programs can run $100-1200 depending on what all you want them to do and what file type you need (different machines use different file types).
Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
BBBmOm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a babylock ellure plus...I stinking love it! 3 hoops and beautiful embroidery. I also use it for my primary sewing machine too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a Janome 10001 and I despise it. It's been one issue after another. I bought it used from a reputable dealer, but still have had a horrible experience. I'll never buy another used machine.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbabybows View Post
Does anyone have one? How do you like it?

I'm looking into getting one but I have no idea where to start. I'd like to be able to choose a small or large hoop size depending on what I'm doing. And is there a way to make the designs instead of having to buy them.
Hopefully this will help

most of the beginner embroidery only machines are 4x4 only, I think anything with a 5x7, &/ or 6x10 hoop is going to be a sewing/ embroidery machine combo (assuming you are buying a home machine). 4x4 will get you monograms and most children's wear....when I started making shirts bigger than a 3t, towels, and bags that's when I started using my 5x7. The 6x10 doesn't add a whole lot of embroidery size, mostly just length on a design. because of the huge jump in price between 5x7 and 6x10...a lot of people just get the machine that goes up to a 5x7.

As I mentioned earlier the software price depends on what it does....some programs only merge designs, if you want to "digitize" (make a design from clipart you found or a drawing) it gets more expensive. I only have Monogram Wizard Plus (which does lettering and merges pre made designs) but many people like Embird (which digitizes designs from scratch). Sew Era Universal is a free digitizing program but from many I've talked to about it it isn't always beginner friendly.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
Willow's_lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started out with a Brother 1500D...I loved it and it was a great starter machine. A couple years later I got a 6 needle Babylock pro+, loved that thing! For just a hobby machine I recommend Brother, but they can get pricey. All that said I have a Bernina Bernette on ebay right now. Cheaper because it just embroiders and it does have the 5x7 hoop. Definitely make sure it has a USB or a cord that will connect to your computer so you can transfer designs from your computer without a card, tons easier! As for digitizing (creating your own designs) that kind of program can be pricey. I had embird which just allowed me to alter/combine designs. Later I got Masterworks II (you're talking $2000-$3000) for digitizing. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I was an embroidering WAHM for over 3 years, or if you would like the link for the Bernina I have on ebay