Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
How do you get siblings to fall asleep on their own?

I have a 2 year old and 3 1/2 year old in separate (but basically joining) rooms. We want to move them together in the fall after we do some painting, but they give us so much grief going to bed at night. My oldest is ok as long as we stay upstairs until he falls asleep. He gets out of bed a few times, but then he drifts off. My 2 year old is a terror. I just recently stopped nursing him to sleep (maybe 2-3 months ago), but still need to lay with him or sit by his bed. I'm at my wits end. I was alone with them last night and they didn't fall asleep until 10 pm. They played musical beds and kept each other up. I'd have one almost asleep and the other would come in and wake him up. We tried laying together with me in the middle which works some times, but not this time. Ugh...

Help!!! I long for my nights back.

massbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
Re: How do you get siblings to fall asleep on their own?

It won't last forever. My girls play constantly when they are supposed to be napping. However, at my MIL's they share a queen-sized bed and they fall aslepe right away. There's a small amt of pushing and shoving and "she's kicking me!" or "she's breathing on me!" but for the most part they fall asleep pretty quickly. It's just settling down that takes maybe 10 minutes or so. Eventually playing and switching beds and running around doesn't seem fun anymore. It's just getting to that point! Relax mama. Not too much longer!I think all you can do is reinforce the rules and wait for them to be followed. Have you tried a strict bedtime routine and then maybe a radio on upstairs with them? We always leave the radio on or some stories on cd(the storyteller cd's from Magic Cabin they absolutely LOVE) and they go to sleep pretty fast.

I just thought of this. Maybe you can put both down at the same time and make yourself a cozy little nook in the corner of their room or in the doorway between the rooms and read a book or knit or do something quietly until they fall asleep??? That way you are with both of them yet not. And they can't run back and forth switching beds!

Last edited by 3rockstars; 07-18-2007 at 10:33 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Registered Users
Re: How do you get siblings to fall asleep on their own?

We'll be combining rooms for our DDs this fall and they'll be 3.5 and 2. You'll have to post back and let me know how this transition goes.

I like PP's suggestion that right now their nighttime activities are basically due to the novelty of the situation. I can see the excitement of the new sleeping arrangement wearing off soon! GL and KUP!
Katie, married to my best friend
SAHM to my sweet babes, DD (8 yo), DD (6.5 yo), and DS (4.5 yo), DS (2 yo), and DD (3 mos)
View Abby's peaceful homebirth
katy_mb3 is offline   Reply With Quote