Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Mat leave notice letter

Darn pregnancy insomnia!

I keep thinking about my formal notice that I need to submit about my maternity leave. My workplace is fairly informal, but I still feel the need to be pretty professional about things, as it helps to forstall misunderstandings. I'm WAY early on this, as I'm not even into my third trimester yet, but it's been on my mind lately, so I decided to write it. I won't be submitting it until early March at the earliest.

So what do you think? My due date isn't until late April, but due to my size, and the fact that staffing is tight, I'd rather go sooner than later, and I can go as early as 8 weeks before my due date without requiring the approval of a medical professional. Plus I don't want to work on Easter, and since this is a 24/7/365 kind of job I'd have to if I stayed most likely. I work the Sunday morning shift.

To: <Owner/Operator>
CC: <Office Manager>
Re: Maternity Leave

In the interests of getting my home and family ready for the impending arrival of our second child, I plan to start my maternity leave on Sunday, April 1st, 2012, making my last day of work Saturday March 31st, 2012, barring of course any medical conditions that might arise requiring me to leave sooner. I currently intend to take the full year of maternity and parental leave allotted me via the Employment Insurance act, and so would be returning sometime in late March 2013. If these plans change, I will contact you to make arrangements.

Thank you for your support in this pregnancy so far, and please let me know if these plans are problematic in some way so that we can get together to work out those problems.

Rebecca C*******

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Mrs. Logan
Registered Users

Re: Mat leave notice letter

I think it looks great

I wish i could take a year off!!! My six weeks is like nothing.

Good luck!!!
Mrs. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds good! does your company have any official documentation? I know that there are forms that I had to fill out that were company specific.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

No, it's a really small company, less than 50 employees total. I probably don't really even need to submit said notice in writing, but prefer to in order to avoid miscommunication.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would definitely submit in writing. I work for a large organization, and we actually have forms that have to be filled out, signed by a doctor, submitted 60 days in advance, and then you have to submit medical clearance to return to work, and proof of birth for your baby. It's always better to have it in writing!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds perfect to me. Do you have an HR or benefits person you should cc? Most employers will allow you to continue benefits if you pay your portion.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
Sounds perfect to me. Do you have an HR or benefits person you should cc? Most employers will allow you to continue benefits if you pay your portion.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
It's a very tiny company - about 15-20 drivers, 3 full time dispatchers(myself included) and 3 part time dispatchers who also drive, the office manager, the owner and a part time office person, and the mechanic and his assistant. That's it. The office manager takes care of HR, and there's no benefits. Thus the reason why even giving formal notice is almost overkill. Everyone pretty much already knows when I'm going. Most of teh staff consider themselves my daughter's honorary uncles and aunts, some even bought her Christmas presents this year. A year ago, I'd be submitting this to my father, but he recently sold the buisness to a family friend so he could retire. Which is actually probably why I feel the need to be a little more formal - 4 years ago I just told dad when I was leaving. Now that I'm not the boss's daughter, I feel that I should maintain a higher level of professionalism. I'm still feeling out the limits of my relationship to the new owner, and while we're friendly, I want things to be very clear to avoid misunderstandings.