Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: picnic table as dining room table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
OP - I think that a picnic table would look really cute as a dining table, stained and coated. You could make a table cloth or even get a regular rectangle shaped one from the dollar store. If it's too long, you could always pin it under so it didn't bug your legs. I do think the gaps would eventually get annoying for a dining table.

What about using a door as the table top and adding some nice stained 4x4's as legs? Here are a couple of pics of some nice ones. I've always loved the look and had this in mind before I saw the one linked below by Green Decals. And bench seating would allow more butts at each side of the table. I love the mismatched wooden chair look myself.

Table with benches
Table with glass piece for top
Another door table
Awesomeness
Mismatched chairs

That table is flippin perfect and exactly my style! I pinned it on my Pinterest board and might be able to talk DH into it someday. The one we have is a nice wood set, but the fabric on the chairs needs reupholstered and I'd like it a little longer so we don't have to squeeze together so much. Hmm, I still like the door table, so maybe I can talk him into doing one of them for a coffee table or office desk and the other as a dining table.

I love the old door covered with a piece of glass!! What a neat table!

Advertisement

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I'd be all over craigslist. If your area is anything like mine there are tons of them. Some are still expensive (IMO for used) but others are cheap. I'm just finishing a redo of a drop leaf table that I picked up for $50. I spent another $30 or so on stain and poly oh and sandpaper. Its turning out awesome!!! Then I'm going to turn around and do the same thing to our current table and sell it to try and recoop the money I spent on the new table.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Keep an eye on Craigslist for someone building picnic tables! They are usually very reasonable, make them to your specs, and deliver them. I love the idea of the glass on top. I grew up next door to a family owned glass business and it isn't nearly as pricey as you think I would love that style of table but we are a bit short for space and really need to be able to push the chairs in between meals.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
momof2jmwjaw
Registered Users
seller

If it weren't for the cracks, I think the picnic table would be a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
I second the gaps issue. You can do a really thrifty (and big) table by just making 4 legs out of 4 by 4's, some 2 by 4 supports, and then some plywood and trim or thin boards all pieced together for the top. Scour Goodwill for chairs (all mismatched) and paint them the same color. I think this is awesome for big families, and if you look through her blog post or photo stream you can see the frame of it, and how they made it. Plus I love all of the mismatched chairs, painted teal. Totally wouldn't work for my DH but teal is an awesome color.
Love that table!!! I can't wait til we move and have room for a table!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
Keep an eye on Craigslist for someone building picnic tables! They are usually very reasonable, make them to your specs, and deliver them. I love the idea of the glass on top. I grew up next door to a family owned glass business and it isn't nearly as pricey as you think I would love that style of table but we are a bit short for space and really need to be able to push the chairs in between meals.
Ooh yeah! If you can find someone to make one to your specs, you could have them make it with no gaps on top!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to suggest a door table too. Ikea sell some adorable holders/supports for a free standing table.

How cute is this kids table I pinned earlier

http://pinterest.com/pin/143130094377178929/