Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuk2girl

Yup... never assume. A bank is a business, after all, and there is a lot of fine print.

We'll have our house paid in 4 more years, cutting 23 years off the mortgage and saving ourselves~ $150k by not paying them interest over the years.
We are almost identical. We are a 25 y mortgage paid in 15 years. We have 4 years left and will save 130k in interest

23 years off your mortgage? What kind of amortization do you have? Here we have 15, 20, and 25 and I think it has been in the past year or so that they made a 30 year term available.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Last edited by TheGreenBee; 01-28-2012 at 11:16 AM.
TheGreenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is it true....mortgage question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBee View Post
We are almost identical. We are a 25 y mortgage paid in 15 years. We have 4 years left and will save 130k in interest

23 years off your mortgage? What kind of amortization do you have? Here we have 15, 20, and 25 and I think it has been in the past year or so that they made a 30 year term available.

The standard term for a mortgage in the US is 30 years.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

We will. Have our 15 year mortgage paid in no more than 6 years with paying $300 extra a month. If our snowball goes right we will actually have our house paid off in just over 5 years.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
No. I would not make that assumption. Banks do weird things. They might be holding it and then applying it to the next month's payment or something. I'd look at your statements and see what the payments are doing.

Paying more is a great thing to be able to do! We paid off our last house in 2 years, because I was working. This house will be about 10 instead of 15.
Agreed! We always send extra and put the amount on the extra principal line on the stub and every few months we have to go back and fight them because they conveniently "forget" to put the amount towards the principal and add it to the next month's payment. Which of course means that they're charging interest on it.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #25
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can figure out how much of your payment goes to the principal each month by looking at your statement. You'd be surprised how little of it actually goes to lower your balance since most is always interest. Then use that figure to determine how much you can send extra a month and that will tell you how much time you're knocking off the loan.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
No. I would not make that assumption. Banks do weird things. They might be holding it and then applying it to the next month's payment or something. I'd look at your statements and see what the payments are doing.

Paying more is a great thing to be able to do! We paid off our last house in 2 years, because I was working. This house will be about 10 instead of 15.
We have had this happen on almost any loan we've ever had. We had to specifically state that the extra was to go to principal. Student loans are the worst for doing this IME.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

So if they had been applying the extra towards the next month, wouldn't I see that when I receive the statement each month? IE: wouldn't the next month say I owe less instead of the usual amount?

I will definitely give them a call Monday and ask about what happens when I sent in extra with the mortgage each month. I don't send it in seperately, I just add it into the actual payment. I really do not want to have to send an actual check each month, that is a PITA.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #28
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
So if they had been applying the extra towards the next month, wouldn't I see that when I receive the statement each month? IE: wouldn't the next month say I owe less instead of the usual amount?

I will definitely give them a call Monday and ask about what happens when I sent in extra with the mortgage each month. I don't send it in seperately, I just add it into the actual payment. I really do not want to have to send an actual check each month, that is a PITA.
Yes. If you don't ask you will see it on your statement. I look at my mtg statement online every month. Or every two weeks or so actually. I would be able to tell right away. However, I have mine set up to be all one payment, I don't pay the extra amount seperately so on my statement it shows up as one mtg payment every two weeks with x amount to principle and x amount to interest. Our interest rate is so low right now too that we are putting about 1100 a month on the principle and only about 100 in interest. It's nice to see the principle going town so fast.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #29
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post

You should be able to see it on the statement. Either the amount owed, or the due date would move. You might get a statement that says your payment is due on April 1, if you're ahead, but still the original payment amount. That happened to me once.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #30
pcjs
Registered Users

On our statement it says amount paid toward principal and about something or other (amount we were supposed to pay). Its a line item.