Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Same here, hard rock detergent or country save and Calgon. It has been working well for more than two years now.

Advertisement

firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hard water

Didn't read through all the posts. We cd'd with major hard water for years. never had a problem. You need to first find out what kind of hard water you have, lime, iron, ect.. It's the iron that can lead to the rusty spots, the bleach will add to it if the water has heavy iron in it. Our hard water was lime caused so I was able to bleach every load. Vinegar does not do well with hard water, it causes odors. Detergent wise, just use a good strong setergent. You can use a softner like calgon or borax and use the normal amnt of detergent, or you will prob have to be sure and just use more. Hard water prevents the detergent from doing it's job by kinda blocking the surfactants so to say. The softner will help neutralise the minerals.
HTH!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by prantastic
I have really hard water, and use Tide f&c with no problems. I couldn't use the diaper-specific detergents though. Even the "hard water" ones.
This.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
GlobalMama89
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for posting since I am dealing with same issue! Just building my stash when I read about hard water effects on cloth dipes -- especialy pockets (so now I am avoiding those). I'm trying to buy only cotton AIOs (any suggestions for faves?) and will mostly do prefolds and covers.

I have already bought Ecover detergent. I got my info from these two websites: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm and http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html I did not realize Rockin Green had a version just for hard water! Very cool. Now I just wish they would sell it in local stores...
GlobalMama89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
*Summer*
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf1981 View Post
Ive just begun shopping and buying all these diapers to build my stash and just ran across a thread mentioning the diaper having rust spots from hard water wash. $*%!. I never even thought of that. Have I just spent this money for nothing because I cannot cloth diaper at a place with hard water?
We have hard water, and have never had rust spots or anything else on our diapers. I would just say do not be afraid to try a regular detergent like Tide on your cloth diapers.
*Summer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalMama89 View Post
Thanks for posting since I am dealing with same issue! Just building my stash when I read about hard water effects on cloth dipes -- especialy pockets (so now I am avoiding those). I'm trying to buy only cotton AIOs (any suggestions for faves?) and will mostly do prefolds and covers.

I have already bought Ecover detergent. I got my info from these two websites: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm and http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html I did not realize Rockin Green had a version just for hard water! Very cool. Now I just wish they would sell it in local stores...
Many momas have success with these natural detergents. Remember though. These sites and detergents are made by cd'ing companies. They profit from sales. I tossed their input out the window years ago. Too many momas posting daily on here with stink issues with those detergents.
Hot water is great, strong main stream detergent rock, bleach is awsome, ect... Do what works for you! Try starting with the detergent you currently use hun. Cloth isn't that much of a difference from washing cloths and you know how to do that! The just get loaded with poo, urine, and bacteria. They don't need to be washed as delicates. They need a heavy duity wash routine. Play around with the detergent amnt and don't skimp, but don't over do it either. Once you find what works for you and your water and machine, stick with it. They arn't collectables, they're diapers. And enzymes, they are my best friend!!! For hard water, a softner will neutralise that issue for you.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have hard water too and started having stink problems. Then on green mountain diapers website they have a whole handout for this!! We are using borax with detergent and it's working!! They had something on there for iron in water causing rust stains but I didn't read it. Hopefully that site helps!!!
Also calgon helps to soften water. Good luck. Oh we also use RnG hard water version.
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Mamasmurf1981
Registered Users
seller

Oooooh I got great advice here. Thanks everyone!!

I was going to make my own detergent but think the recipe had vinegar in it so wont do that now. Dont want stinky dipes! I have no idea if its lime or iron...how do i know?

Also, i've never heard of washing softener...so it must just be added to the detergent?

I have been using Purex Free and Clear because im cheap. Lol. I also use OxiClean for baby stains and its done WONDERS. Can I use oxiclean on diapers if they are getting dingy? Also, can you use spray on stain remover for them? Would I just add the detergent, oxi, and the softener all in the wash if I needed an oxiclean boost?

Thanks All!
Mamasmurf1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lime-hard water will be found in regions that have a high level of limestone in the ground. Fl is a great example. You will get a scaley lime residue on showerheads, ect. Iron will make the water taste a little bit like you cut your lip. Blood has high iron is why I say this. You can have orange/rusty stains in the tub or under your outdoor fawcet. Ther is also a bacteria that loves iron that can leave this staining. Like for example, our last home. We had high levels of lime and the iron bacteria. I was able to use bleach with much success because our iron levels weren't too high. If it is high, with bleach you can get rusty looking stains on cloths. We HAD to use either calgon with the detergent or borax with it to get the water soft enough for the detergent to work properly. Our neighbor had a more shallow well and had super high iron levels. So bad, her hair was orange. Our well was really deep and you couldn't even smell the rotten eggs/sulpher like all of the neighbors couuld. Yea, Fl has nasty water!
You will just add the softner to the detergent. The box will have exact instructions. Now calgon really targets lime. It won't remove the existing buildup, but will prevent further setteling of the mineral/s on the materials being washed. Their website is full of awsome info!
The additaves you listed sounded just fine to me. I have always used oxy and spray stain treaters.
Do you have a dispencing drawer or one in a tl'er? What kind of washer is it?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Ladyflower
Registered Users

Lots of mamas CD with hard water. It's just a little more difficult to find a good wash routine because hard water makes it harder for the detergent to work well. I was never able to get any of the "CD safe/natural" detergents to work in our hard water. They just didn't get them clean enough because they lack the cleaning power that commercial detergents have (suffacants and enzymes.) Our first successful detergent was original Tide. When they changed formulas to the Ultra Tide it didn't clean as well for us anymore, so I switched to Gain and now that is working well for us. I've also found it's important to get our diapers clean to use HOT water when washing. The diapers get cleaner and smell better than when I wash in warm water.
Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote