Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pregnancy and Hashimotos

Hi ladies. I have Hashimotos and am finding the information confusing. I've talked to other moms on here who have it and their endos tell them their chances of miscarriage are high. Yet my endo is telling me that shouldn't be true. However, I've had 2 m/c since being diagnosed. ?! Not that it sounds like anything can be done about that anyways. I hear that some Hashi moms will have a m/c and then go on to have healthy pregnancies. But I have 2 m/c under my belt and fear more. Since the info is confusing, I just thought I'd go to the source....those with Hashis. So, I was wondering, if you have Hashis, what has your conception/pregnancy/miscarriage (any or all) journeys been? TIA

Advertisement

zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnancy and Hashimotos

My midwife was diagnosed with hashimoto's after 3 healthy pregnancies and then 5 miscarriages. She went on to have another baby after she was diagnosed. She said that once they figured out that her thyroid level dropping around 10 weeks was the problem, they could monitor the levels and make sure that they were staying in the normal range.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Jatango
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have hashis, and fairly badly. I was just diagnosed in April and after fighting to get the right treatment, got pregnant. So far I am 26 weeks, and I guess I am one of the lucky ones. HOWEVER, I did so much research that doctors who didn't understand the latest protocols were useless to me. I had to doctor jump until I found someone who had a clue. I also have mild PCOS. What worked for me:

Many hashis have low ferritin (iron storage), got that up with supplements
Ferrous gluconate 325 3x daily

Got off the synthetic thyroid crud and started taking armour AFTER raising iron

Got a doc who looked at free t4 and free t3 only, and tested for reverse t3. As a hashi, your TSH means nothing. It's not an accurate measure of thyroid function anyway, only pituitary function.

Get a doc who understands that your TSH may be almost ZERO before your free t's look right.

Go grain free, at least for a few months. This will reduce insulin resistance that people with hashis often have and will lower your antibody levels. Use stevia liberally, it increases insulin sensitivity.

Get your A1C checked. It's hard to get/stay pregnant when you're borderline diabetic. Insulin is inflammatory, and your body's protection against glucose. The fewer spikes you have, the better your body will do.

Go to stopthethyroidmadness.com and read up. They can help.

We were NTNP for almost 3 years and I was told I wasn't fertile. Once I did the above I got pregnant the first time we DTD at the right time in my cycle. No guarantees, but it worked great for us.

Sent from my iPhone, auto-correct be darned!

Jatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have had my iron levels checked, and they are fine. I've also had my insulin checked and it was fine. I'm going to recheck my records, but my endo does check my free ts and has said my levels are all good. My TPO antibodies, however, are super high. Over 1000. But my endo said that since my other levels are good, that shouldn't hinder fertility or up m/c chances. But then so many other hashi mamas have seemed to be told the opposite. ? I have been preg twice since last May and that's WITH my DH working out of town all week and only home on the weekends. So I think my fertility is fine. I just have problems holding the pregnancy. I just have a hard time thinking its a coincidence that I lost two pregs after being diagnosed, but had 3 easy, healthy pregs before being diagnosed.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Jatango
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My antibodies dropped from 1200 to 40 when I went grain free and low sugar. I'm sorry you're having a tough time, and I'm sorry about your angel babies. I hope something helps. It may be something besides the hashis too.

Remember, hashis is autoimmune, you've always had it. You probably had it with the first three as well.

Last edited by Jatango; 01-25-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Jatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatango View Post
My antibodies dropped from 1200 to 40 when I went grain free and low sugar. I'm sorry you're having a tough time, and I'm sorry about your angel babies. I hope something helps. It may be something besides the hashis too.

Remember, hashis is autoimmune, you've always had it. You probably had it with the first three as well.

Have you changed your diet? I would also suggest a GAPS-style diet to help. A low-grain diet paired with lots of probiotic foods can help to heal the immune system naturally and might help maintain a pregnancy. it definitely wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatango View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Have you changed your diet? I would also suggest a GAPS-style diet to help. A low-grain diet paired with lots of probiotic foods can help to heal the immune system naturally and might help maintain a pregnancy. it definitely wouldn't hurt.

Thank you for this info ladies!!!!! This excited me. From my research, it seemed as if nothing could be done about my TPO antibodies, and it seemed that online, a lot of the m/c speculation was put on those high #s. And mine are so high! I tried to go gluten free once and it was so hard to maintain with 3 kids. But this would be the inspiration I need to keep up with it. I'm actually doing a low grain diet right now, called Fit For Life. I actually think it might be pretty similar to GAPS. ANd I've thought of doing gaps before b/c my family has lots of stomach issues, including IBS and celiac. Yes, we're a messed up bunch. Is there a difference between low grain and gluten free? Gluten was just in SOOOO much stuff!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
ericamichelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might consider a series of Free T testing once you are pg again. Perhaps around 6 weeks and again around 12 to make sure that your levels aren't declining with your hormonal changes.