Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #81
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,418
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Most of those diseases are pretty rare to begin with, then a complication is very rare on top of that. And a child with a very strong immune system can fight something off faster/easier than one that had numerous chemicals and toxins injected into their body. Not to mention the past antibiotics, and medicines. Overall vaccinated children just aren't as healthy as unvaccinated. You can call it whatever you want, but I've found it to be pretty accurate.
The vast majority of diseases that are part of the routine vaccination schedule in the United States are fortunately becoming very rare. However, just 50 years ago most of these diseases were by no means rare. They were a frightening part of my parent's childhood. Complications in fact were infrequent. However, with vaccination, these diseases have become rare and serious complications have almost entirely disappeared because so few children acquire these diseases at all. As vaccination rates fall, many of these diseases rapidly reemerge. They are only rare because vaccines make them rare.

There is absolutely no scientific evidence that unvaccinated children are more healthy than those who are vaxed. The only "evidence" I have ever seen anyone here post regarding the healthiness of unvaxed children is an article about a survey on an anti-vax website. Ultimately, a very basic understanding of scientific method is all anyone needs to understand that that "evidence" is entirely worthless scientifically.

As far as whether vaccines are safe, here is the CDCs page listing known and potential side effects and their frequency. It is in fact worth noting that in many cases, even these side effects are listed, but it is unknown whether the problem was in fact an adverse effect or whether it was unrelated to the vaccine.

Advertisement

__________________
Jennifer
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #82
chandni3
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,338
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Thank you to those who gave the "good" vaccination stories. I'm glad I didn't read more of the posts until today. My baby got vaccinated yesterday. We live in Canada so she got Pediacel which is a 5 in one and Prevnar which is pneumoccoccal conjugate. I didn't do rotarix because I didn't feel it was necessary, I felt it was too much at once and it had been recalled once already but reading some stories on here maybe I'll do it a month from now. The prevnar shot really hurt (the nurse said it would) and she cried so hard I wanted to cry. I nursed her after and then gave her her soother (which she loves) and my husband took her to the waiting room as I had an appointment after her. She was ok for the rest of the afternoon (and I held her the whole day because I was so worried about her) but in the evening her leg was hurting and she wouldn't stop crying. That's when I gave her Tylenol. She never developed a fever. I gave her more Tylenol in the night (I was also afraid of her developing a fever in the night and I wouldn't know). This morning she seems to be feeling a lot better.
I'm glad I vaccinated her. I feel better knowing I won't have to always be worried about her catching those illnesses and she'll be able to travel. I spent 4 years in India and loved it and would love to take my family there, and if not, I want her to be able to visit other countries and have those experiences I did as a young woman.
I know there isn't any perfect answers on vaccination, but it's frustrating to only hear scary stories when there are so many "non-stories". I was so worried up to her getting her shots. But I feel confident now that I did the right thing. Thank you to the mom's who encouraged me that everything would most likely be fine.
__________________
Mommy to sweet daughter K Nov 2011 & N May 2013. Wife to wonderful husband D since Sept 2008. Always remembering baby J 10wks Missing baby Q 13wks

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #83
RM09Mama's Avatar
RM09Mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 175
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoonchi View Post
I also had shingles in the past two weeks, which would have given him chicken pox, had he not had the varicella vaccination last month. I am happy to report that he has had no sign nor symptom of chicken pox at all. (And he's well past the incubation period.)
Have you considered the possibility that your son's varicella vaccination GAVE you shingles?? It's a live virus vaccine and your child sheds the virus for a few days to a week after receiving the virus (this is also true of the rotavirus vaccine, for the other poster who said she and her husband got it but their kids had a mild case -- how soon after the vaccination did this occur?). When you count the incubation time, it lines up perfectly with when you got shingles. But did your child's doctor EVER mention that side effect of the varicella or rotavirus vaccines?

Read this article for more info -- it sums up a lot of the questions about the varicella vaccine: http://www.compassionatesouls.com/chickenpox.html
__________________
At-home mama to Nicholas (2/09) and mono-di twins Alexander and Matthew (4/11). Labor doula and birth junkie. We CD, EBF, CLW, ERF, and BW. I believe in making fully informed parenting choices.
My ISO - My IHA
RM09Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #84
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,418
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM09Mama View Post
Have you considered the possibility that your son's varicella vaccination GAVE you shingles?? It's a live virus vaccine and your child sheds the virus for a few days to a week after receiving the virus (this is also true of the rotavirus vaccine, for the other poster who said she and her husband got it but their kids had a mild case -- how soon after the vaccination did this occur?). When you count the incubation time, it lines up perfectly with when you got shingles. But did your child's doctor EVER mention that side effect of the varicella or rotavirus vaccines?

Read this article for more info -- it sums up a lot of the questions about the varicella vaccine: http://www.compassionatesouls.com/chickenpox.html
Unfortunately, the person writing this blog article has their facts backwards.

While it is true that it is remotely possible for someone with shingles to infect someone with chickenpox, it is not possible the other way around. It is also possible (remotely) for someone who has never had chickenpox to contract chickenpox from someone who has recently had the vaccine (and becomes contagious). However, exposure to chickenpox (wild or vaccine) does not cause shingles. In fact periodic exposure to chickenpox is believed to lessen an individual's likelihood of contracting shingles. This is actually a reason that scientists believe that more younger people are contracting shingles - because with the varicella vaccine, young adults are exposed less frequently to children who have chickenpox.

Shingles comes from a reactivation fo the varicella zoster virus. It is caused primarily by stress or in people who are immunocompromised.
__________________
Jennifer
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #85
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Unfortunately, the person writing this blog article has their facts backwards.

While it is true that it is remotely possible for someone with shingles to infect someone with chickenpox, it is not possible the other way around. It is also possible (remotely) for someone who has never had chickenpox to contract chickenpox from someone who has recently had the vaccine (and becomes contagious). However, exposure to chickenpox (wild or vaccine) does not cause shingles. In fact perinodic exposure to chickenpox is believed to lessen an individual's likelihood of contracting shingles. This is actually a reason that scientists believe that more younger people are contracting shingles - because with the varicella vaccine, young adults are exposed less frequently to children who have chickenpox.

Shingles comes from a reactivation fo the varicella zoster virus. It is caused primarily by stress or in people who are immunocompromised.
Actually I know of an older friend who got shingles every time a child in our church was vaccinated against chickenpox or had chickenpox. So I don't know why you say it's impossible?
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #86
jackyl08's Avatar
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 7,029
My Mood:
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Both of my kids are up to date on vaxes(except rotovirus, as our family practice dr does not do this one. I trust her judgment, so we are not doing it) and neither one has ever had so much as a fever from them. DD doesn't even cry anymore when she gets her flu shot. She is well ahead in some areas, right on schedule in others and very healthy. She has had ONE ear infection. She did get swine flu(confirmed case) at 6mths old, which was really scary. DS will get his 6mth shots next week.
I have never actually met an unvaxed kid and I have never met a vaxed kid that had a bad reaction.
The whole "unvaxed kids are healthier" is truly the biggest bunch of made up BS I've ever heard. Seriously.
__________________
Jacky, CPST and wife to Tim
Mama to my little red heads, Kenzie (5) and Maverick (3)Currently boycotting using the potty EVER
jackyl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #87
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,418
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Actually I know of an older friend who got shingles every time a child in our church was vaccinated against chickenpox or had chickenpox. So I don't know why you say it's impossible?
I'm sorry. I shouldn't say impossible. In the medical world there are always cases that defy science. However, your friend at church should make sure that his/her doctor is aware of her unusual presentation. It always helps our understanding of science and medicine to know when people have unusual courses.
__________________
Jennifer
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #88
Minniebees's Avatar
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: You stay classy, San Diego
Posts: 9,130
My Mood:
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
Thank you to those who gave the "good" vaccination stories. I'm glad I didn't read more of the posts until today. My baby got vaccinated yesterday. We live in Canada so she got Pediacel which is a 5 in one and Prevnar which is pneumoccoccal conjugate. I didn't do rotarix because I didn't feel it was necessary, I felt it was too much at once and it had been recalled once already but reading some stories on here maybe I'll do it a month from now. The prevnar shot really hurt (the nurse said it would) and she cried so hard I wanted to cry. I nursed her after and then gave her her soother (which she loves) and my husband took her to the waiting room as I had an appointment after her. She was ok for the rest of the afternoon (and I held her the whole day because I was so worried about her) but in the evening her leg was hurting and she wouldn't stop crying. That's when I gave her Tylenol. She never developed a fever. I gave her more Tylenol in the night (I was also afraid of her developing a fever in the night and I wouldn't know). This morning she seems to be feeling a lot better.
I'm glad I vaccinated her. I feel better knowing I won't have to always be worried about her catching those illnesses and she'll be able to travel. I spent 4 years in India and loved it and would love to take my family there, and if not, I want her to be able to visit other countries and have those experiences I did as a young woman.
I know there isn't any perfect answers on vaccination, but it's frustrating to only hear scary stories when there are so many "non-stories". I was so worried up to her getting her shots. But I feel confident now that I did the right thing. Thank you to the mom's who encouraged me that everything would most likely be fine.
I'm glad you feel good about your decision. I think you made the right one, too, and it is also a decision that we made. Make sure you keep up on your vaccinations as well! I still need to find the time to get the Hep A series, but I'm always so busy that my healthcare is on the back burner often.

I don't know if this was mentioned (I skim these types of threads, it just makes me stabby), but have you read Roald Dahl's essay on measles? Just do a Google search. He is a favorite author here, and his essay literally makes me cry. I love the way he presents the stats about how often serious side effects come up.
__________________
Wife to my Navy doc, SAHM to 4 (11, 8, 5, 1)
Minniebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #89
dancermommy1's Avatar
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,167
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Hi! My ds is fully vaccinated with no problems at this time.

I highly recommend reading the book "The Panic Virus" by Seth Mnookin. Either get it off amazon or check it out of your library. It will help you to understand why a lot of vaccine myths developed, and why they persist. many rumors about vaccines have been around for a lot longer than you would think.

Everything has risk associated with it. IMO, the diseases that vaccines protect against carry a lot more risk than any the vaccines themselves present. Published science backs up my opinion.

mama, you will make the best decision for your children. IMO, if you plan to travel internationally, particularly to countries where healthcare is not the greatest for much of the population and many diseases for which there are vaccines persis, it is essential to fully protect your child.
__________________
Bellydancing, Jesus-loving, cloth-diapering ecologist and Mommy to Michael Christopher, born July 8, 2010!!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #90
dancermommy1's Avatar
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,167
Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
The whole "unvaxed kids are healthier" is truly the biggest bunch of made up BS I've ever heard. Seriously.
__________________
Bellydancing, Jesus-loving, cloth-diapering ecologist and Mommy to Michael Christopher, born July 8, 2010!!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.