Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
solarbabies's Avatar
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beautiful New Mexico
Posts: 6,845
My Mood:
Homebirth of Ryan Paul ~pic heavy

Sunday Jan 22nd, 2012 started just like any other day, except I woke up slightly annoyed that I was 6 days past my EDD and still pregnant. I did my weekly call to my grandpa and told him no baby yet. Around 9am contractions started. But they were only in my hips and back and I had a 'false' start earlier that week with the same contractions. So I was even more annoyed now that I was getting another false start. I waited about 30 minutes and then texted my midwife just to warn her that 'today might be it'. Not 2 minutes after I sent that text, something just felt different and I had DH text her again and tell her to come! He called my mom at work and told her to come and pick up DD. The contractions got harder and stronger.

DH drew me a bath. I packed DD's bag between contractions. I made sure she had plenty of stuff and jammies for overnight too. I was so nervous about my baby girl being away from me for the first night ever! My mom got here at about 10:45. I was in the tub at this point and really verbalizing through the contractions. I opened my eyes at the end of one and my mom was standing there looking so concerned. DH went out and showed her how to use DD's carseat and sent her on her way.

Contractions were getting closer, then I felt like I had to push! Dh started to get really nervous, he kept telling me not to push. I told him to ask the midwife where she was. He texted her and she said DRIVEWAY! She walked in the house at 12:18pm. She was awesome, came right in and suddenly I felt so calm and peaceful, like it was all organized now. Her assistant showed up sometime after that...10 to 20 minutes I think.

I told my midwife I felt like I had to push, she said go ahead if I felt ready. I was scared though, I wanted to know how dilated I was. She checked me just to give me peace of mind. She said I was an 8 or 9 with a bulging bag of waters. Oh that sounded so good! So I went ahead and listened to my body and began to push with the contractions.

I sat up (was laying on my side in the tub) and then I really started feeling the urge with contractions. I started pushing harder. My water broke. It filled the tub with cloudy brown water. Baby had pooped in his water a few days prior. Then I started feeling stinging. I was so scared that I would tear. My midwife told me to hold the skin that was stinging so I did. Then I felt him move down. I could feel him crown. The next contraction I pushed and he came out. I had my son on my chest! It was 1:01pm. I had a 4 hr labor from start to finish.

It took a few minutes (not sure how long) and I delivered the placenta. Then DH cut the cord. My membranes did not want to come out though, so it took a while to try and get that and I started bleeding more than my midwife was comfortable with so I got a shot of pictocin. Finally I was able to get up out of the tub (meanwhile Dh was walking around with the baby wrapped snugly in a towel) I got up, and went to bed. DH layed down with me and I nursed my son. He nursed for about an hour. The midwife kept having to come in and make my uterus go back down, instead of just contracting down, it kept filling with blood. While I was nursing him and talking to Dh, the midwife and her assistant started the laundry (the towels and clothes that we used during the birth), boiled up a sitz bath, made me some tea, and brought us both a snack (bagel with cream cheese, grapes, and cheese)

My midwife came into the bedroom and asked if we wanted to see the placenta. She showed it to us and explained it to us. It was cool to see again, we got to see dd's too. Once my bleeding stopped, they left. It was about 3:30.

My mom brought DD back around 5pm. Suddenly my baby girl was my BIG girl!!! She was excited to meet her baby brother. She pointed out his eyes, nose, ears, mouth, and hands. She gave him kisses She has been a great big sister!

Ryan is just perfect! We are so in love with our sweet little boy. I feel so empowered, so strong. I could not be happier with my birth experience (and I did not tear)! Dh was right by my side the entire time and my major support. He holds me together when I am falling apart that man. We are 8 days into the rest of our lives. As far as I know right now, our family is complete.

Ryan Paul Born 1-22-12 at 1:01pm. 7lbs, 9oz and 20.5 inches long.

(All pics were taken by us in the first week)
[CENTER]~Shannon~Mama to Addisyn 6.6.10 and Ryan 1.22.12

Last edited by solarbabies; 01-30-2012 at 08:27 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.