Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
lobsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
breast feedling/switching to pumping dilema

my almost two week old is losing weight, i am ebf, and today i decided to switch to pumping and bottles, so he can gain weight. I am iron deficient myself right now, does any one know if that can cause my milk to not be satisfying to him, and let him gain weight. i am on supplements, but don't know how long it will take, this is my second child, and i ebf my oldest son for a year with no problems. I think this second little guy is a little lazy, but not sure.
any input or experience from others would be appreciated. i have no close friends that have bf, so it is hard for them to relate to what i am going through.
thanks in advance
Evie

Advertisement

lobsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: breast feedling/switching to pumping dilema

Iron defficiency can cause milk supply to be lower from what I have heard...

Have you seen a lactation consultant? They could double check your little one's latch and suck...my youngest lost weight for 2 weeks straight and ended up having a posterior tongue tie (google it).

Good luck, mama!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't switch to pumping - your lo will be better at getting the milk out than a pump will.

I second the recommendation to see an LC if possible - get checked for tongue tie.

Is lo having enough wet diapers?
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
redhairboy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Low iron in mom can cause your milk supply to decrease. I would still nurse as much as you can and maybe supplement as needed. I agree to call a LC.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
lobsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i am seeing a lc, and he has been checked for tongue tie. our doctor says he is not tongue tied. he seems to be much more satisfied with the bottle than with me, so will stick with that for now...thanks for the input.
lobsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've heard from other moms that they had to see multiple doctors before one would diagnose a tongue tie. Thats what i would guess. There is a facebook group called "the leaky b@@b" there are a ton of mom's who seem to have an experience like yours. I would suggest checking that out.
ofthemoonsglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Don't switch to pumping - your lo will be better at getting the milk out than a pump will.

I second the recommendation to see an LC if possible - get checked for tongue tie.

Is lo having enough wet diapers?
Pumping is sooooo hard...I am so glad to be done (other than when I am at work) now that we finally got my little one nursing better.

We saw 3 LCs, 3 pediatricians, 1 speech pathologist and 2 ENTs before my little one's posterior tongue tie finally got diagnosed...she was taking in less than 1/4 ounce per feed after it taking like an hour until we got it clipped, we just weighed her before and after today and she took almsot 2 ounces in only 15mins! Also, my nipples were so sore, and they feel awesome now! It's only been a few days and already such difference...if I have another baby that has even the slightest nursing trouble I will take him/her to be assessed right after birth. I would see if you can get to one of the doctors listed here: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml

I hope I don't come across as being pushy...I am just in such awe at the difference it made and how hard it was to get anyone to diagnose or treat it and I just so badly want to spread the word...I feel like if this was more commonly recognized it would save so many mamas much uneeded heartache and keep many more babies breastfed much longer. I imagine it is way more common than people think.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmomma83

Pumping is sooooo hard...I am so glad to be done (other than when I am at work) now that we finally got my little one nursing better.

We saw 3 LCs, 3 pediatricians, 1 speech pathologist and 2 ENTs before my little one's posterior tongue tie finally got diagnosed...she was taking in less than 1/4 ounce per feed after it taking like an hour until we got it clipped, we just weighed her before and after today and she took almsot 2 ounces in only 15mins! Also, my nipples were so sore, and they feel awesome now! It's only been a few days and already such difference...if I have another baby that has even the slightest nursing trouble I will take him/her to be assessed right after birth. I would see if you can get to one of the doctors listed here: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml

I hope I don't come across as being pushy...I am just in such awe at the difference it made and how hard it was to get anyone to diagnose or treat it and I just so badly want to spread the word...I feel like if this was more commonly recognized it would save so many mamas much uneeded heartache and keep many more babies breastfed much longer. I imagine it is way more common than people think.
Not the OP but my lo had a tongue tie and while it was diagnosed early it took forever to get it fixed. I don't think enough can be said about getting TTs diagnosed and corrected as soon as possible.

I've read that TT can be genetic - if your mom couldn't bf you (or struggled with it) you may have an undiagnosed TT also.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Not the OP but my lo had a tongue tie and while it was diagnosed early it took forever to get it fixed. I don't think enough can be said about getting TTs diagnosed and corrected as soon as possible.

I've read that TT can be genetic - if your mom couldn't bf you (or struggled with it) you may have an undiagnosed TT also.
Glad you mentioned the genetics - I meant to and forgot! That was part of what clued me in to my DD's also...my mom successfully breastfeed 8 kids including me, but, about 5 of us has major speech problems with no other delays which I know can come from TTs so that kind of clued me in a bit to the possibility of TT. Also my hubby snores and I *think* has sleep apnea (he refuses to get it check out) so I would not be surprised if he has one too.

Hope I'm not getting to OT