Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #141
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisathena View Post
My opinions are NOT based on that womans post. I truely thought it could help. I had no idea it would get picked to shreds.

My opinions are based on many hours of research/videos and books read...balanced books So i am happy w/ my decision and dont need to go into it further.

i appreciate your response...i truly dont think you can trust any "statistics" they all probably sway the way the original party wants them too....there is no concrete way to know...

As a parent you just need to read/study and come to a decision best for your family. I have done that...

But, I do give statistical studies credibility based on who funds them and peer review. I'm in psychology so I understand how clinical research can be very helpful and we (our society) base A LOT on them. However, there have been many clinically "sound" studies that have been proven wrong, biased, and invalid over the years that were initially accepted. There have also been plenty of medical procedures/practices that were initially introduced as safe only to be found unsafe and recalled. In addition, long term effects are almost impossible to truly know.

Again, to each family their own educated choice!

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #142
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
My degree is in chemistry (research in organic synthesis), but I work in physics.
My sis in law has her PhD in analytical chemistry and my bro in law (dh's bro) has his PhD in atomic physics. He is a professor. When he talks about his work I usually .

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
So the moms who give their children immunity through bfing - how did you get that immunity? Did you have polio, measles, mumps, etc and got immunity that way, or did you get your immunity through vaccinations? Or are you just talking about giving your kids immunity to the colds you are catching/fighting that season?
GOOD question!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #143
Len27
Registered Users
seller

we were a bit delayed with DD (she was pre-term at birth) but she is now fully vaxed and a totally normal healthy 3 year old with an insanely strong immune system. DS is 16 mos and we are starting his shots on monday. I have reservations because he has other issues- had severe eczema, is gluten intolerant etc. but I think *hope* we are at a stage where his immune system is strong enough to handle immunizations. I'm not anti-vax, but for DS I felt his system was too compromised before to bombard him with anything, be it vaxing or an illness. Fingers crossed I have a good story to come back with!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #144
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
The thing is, there are a LOT of people who DO form their opinion on vax based on fear and misinformation, and never do a lot of real research. For every mama on here who does all her research on vaccinations, there are three other people out there who heard some celebrity say that vaccines cause autism and decided not to get their kids shots based on that. And THAT is absolutely ridiculous, misinformed and fear based.
Then there is the mamas who do their research and make an informed decision. They the chose not to vaccinate and get annoyed every time the doctor mentions Jenny Mccarthy and Jim Carey assuming the decision was based on something said by a celebrity!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #145
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisathena View Post
My opinions are NOT based on that womans post. I truely thought it could help. I had no idea it would get picked to shreds.

My opinions are based on many hours of research/videos and books read...balanced books So i am happy w/ my decision and dont need to go into it further.

i appreciate your response...i truly dont think you can trust any "statistics" they all probably sway the way the original party wants them too....there is no concrete way to know...

As a parent you just need to read/study and come to a decision best for your family. I have done that...

I agree that people need to do their own investigation into what is best for their child. For some people that is as simple as talking with their pediatrician. What I don't understand is offering posts like that Facebook post to support a position. IMHO when people utilize posts like that one, it does nothing to help inform others. If there is good information out there for people to read, then I would offer the names of those books or links to those sites.