Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Carolyn528
Registered Users
seller

Ipad vs android apps for autism

What are your favorite apps for either device? Which has better apps for early learning and autism?

Advertisement

B 6/9/11
Due 10/30
Carolyn528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ipad vs android apps for autism

Some of my students have autism. I use my ipad during our sessions. I have the kids use a stylus for the apps that involve writing.Apps I like:

iwritewords
dexteria
monkey preschool lunch box
tozzle
Go together (Different roads to learning)
a few meyer johnson apps
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
mekat
Registered Users

My ds isn't autistic but is developmentally around the age of 2 actual age is 7 years old. My son's Ipad is on order so haven't had a chance to actually test anything out yet but I do have some good resources.

http://www.snapps4kids.com/hardware-question/

http://a4cwsn.com/

I was really torn between a tablet PC running windows, Ipad and an android. I decided against the PC tablet since PC software for touchscreen runs much more expensive on average then apps and I don't have unlimited amounts of money to spend. The android and Ipad were real close. I would have preferred going android since they have more flexibility then the Ipad but in the end I chose the Ipad for the following reasons.

More mounting options for the Ipad. Absolute must since my kiddo is as likely to stick it in his mouth or throw the tablet as he is to play with it properly. Plus my kiddo's main source of mobility in public is still a wheelchair even though he can walk in a walker but gets tired out easily. More mounting options in his situation were helpful and a crucial deciding factor. Nook for kids app is only available on Ipad right now and my son is an avid reader but still needs help with reading and getting a stand alone Nook is out of the question because the screen is too small for my son's limited vision. More communication software available on Ipad including more widely acclaimed programs like Prologuo2go, absolutely important if you have a nonverbal child or one that uses PECS. This inequality will probably change in the future when the android market catches up but as of now Ipad app market has the better offerings.

If you do decide going android be very careful buying. I found most of the good deals on androids were because they had outdated software and from what I read if the operating system is too old it may not work with newer apps. I was really careful when pricing androids and only looking at those with a 3.1 version or higher. In the end I found an android with similar specs to an Ipad ran about the same purchase price as a refurbished Ipad if you buy through Apple store online so it really comes down to what will fit your individual child's situation better. You can browse both the Android and Itunes market online and I would suggest doing so in case you find an app that is a must since not all apps are offered on both platforms.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Carolyn528
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info!
B 6/9/11
Due 10/30
Carolyn528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a list of our favorite ipad apps for my 5 y/o with autism. I've never regretted getting him an ipad.
Math
Monkey MathSchool Sunshine-
Montessori Counting Board by Grasshopper Apps
DotToDot number wiz (apps in my pocket)—we are still using the lite version
100 Board Montessori Approach—they have a free lite version to try
Park Math-Duck Duck Moose , the only thing I don’t like about this is that it is too easy/fun to skip the onto the next thing
Counting 101—Little Prince
Count Money-Little matchups

Reading
Bob Books Reading Magic—Both boys love these
FirstWords (Learning Touch)
Sight Words—Photo touch
Sight Words by Little Speller by GrasshopperApps--Can't remember if it was free or how much it cost.
ABC Print Big Trace (we use the free version)

Stories
Miss Spider’s Tea Party--Callaway
Toy Story
Rock n Learn Easy Reader

Coordination
Dexteria—We especially like the pinching one to help with yds’s fine motor

Puzzles, Matching
Shape Builder (Darren Murtha Design)--It said it was for the iphone but it works full screen on the ipad.
Wood Puzzles (Tropisounds)
Preschool Memory Match (Darren Murtha Design)--We got this when they had it temporarily free. It think it was $1.99 regularly
Match it up 1 2 and 3
Smoky the Train

Words
Speech with Milo (Doonan Speech Therapy) Also a little advanced for him but he seems to be studying it. This was is $1.99 or $2.99 depending on which set of words you get

Color Slapps (zorten)
Peekaboo Barn (Night and Day Studios)
ABA flash cards (Kindergarten.com)--he flips through the action cards, these are all for iphone too. They are small on the ipad but funciton fine.
Model Me Going Places (Model Me Kids)--almost a little too advanced for Ben but he looks through it and seems to listen
Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

For mounting for the iPad, I got the media case from Griffin (it was at Walmart). Its padded in the front and back and I use the strap to strap it to the stroller. Since its for the iPad vs. ipad2 there was a bit of extra space in the case so I got a really thin cheap plastic cover at Below 5 (or what ever that store is called) put that one and the media case and its very sturdy. I'd go with the iPad and whats nice is if you have an iPod you can share all the apps.