Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Nursing 1-year old

[QUOTE=tibeca;14563187]Only you can decide when to stop "offering". I believe in offering until they consistently refuse. Example: I always nursed DD about 30minutes to an hour before dinner. Around 13 months she started refusing to nurse then. If I offered at dinner time, she would again say no and eat her food. So I stopped offering after about 3 weeks of that. Follow your baby's cues. If he wants solids, he'll let you know and refuse to nurse.

This
I nurse/nursed all 3 of my children on demand. I also offered if they seemed to need it. My first slowed down to only breastfeeding 5-6 times a day by the time she was a year old my second still nursed as much as a newborn when he was 2 years old. Sometimes as much as 10-12 times a day. He liked to nurse before and after bed time and naps, before and after each meal, whenever he fell and got hurt or was just upset, and 1-2 times during the night. He would refuse to eat much solids. It wasn't that he was picky he just didn't want much solids. I have seen him refuse a piece of chocolate cake because he just wasn't in the mood for it. When we go to a buffet he gets his desert but doesn't usually finish it and wants to go back for a plate of salads and other veges. He is 8yrs old. As a toddler he also had a problem with a very strong gag reflex. So he would frequently vomit up his meals not making eating a very appetizing thought for him. Both children would increase their comfort nursing whenever they would become sick but would revert to their normal nursing habits as soon as they became better. My third child is only 7m old right now and still ebf. I plan on doing the same for him.

Just wanted to clarify just in case. My second child is now 8 years old and he was weaned shortly before he turned 4, so was my first child. After reading what I typed I thought it might look like I was still nursing him. I am not only my 7mo.

Advertisement

Last edited by qsefthuko; 02-01-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clarify
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #12
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing 1-year old

DD2 is right at 11m. I nurse before meals just like you. Like nurse then straight to the high chair. I also nurse on demand. Once she turns 1, I will probably cut one of those sessions(say nursing before lunch) and just nurse on demand. Then see how that goes and change things from there