Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

SIL used book cover for breastfeeding book

I let my SIL barrow my breastfeeding book. When she returned it it had a cover on it so you can't see the what it is. She just did it with computer paper so it was not to protect the book. She borrowed other baby books that did not have a cover. I cracks me up that she did this. I do acknowledge that she works in a male dominated environment. (shop atmosphere) but she plans to pump at work so people are going to know. I kind of feel like if she can't read the book without the cover than she has little hope of BFing long term. Unless she pumps to go out but this always seemed like too much of a hassle to me. I don't mean to say anything bad about her and I hope it works out but more than anything I just started laughing. I mean really its breastfeeding. What were the many things people THOUGHT it was about that were likely much worse.

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is it her first child? I can actually understand. I was like that with my first, but I doubt I will be as shy the second time around. I worked in a male dominated environment (and a lot of single, clueless ones on top of it). When topics like that (or even birthing) came up, they were obviously uncomfortable. Right or wrong, I avoided talking about nursing or pumping with them. No one knew I pumped besides my boss. I kept my equipment in the locker room, my bottles in a lunch box in the fridge, and pumped for six months (quit working then). A few times I had a coworker comment about how much I ate with two lunch boxes... I smiled! I didn't need his support or understanding to provide for my child! Hopefully your sister wont either!

---------------------------------
Meg, mama to Joey (2/2010)!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Re: SIL used book cover for breastfeeding book

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
Is it her first child? I can actually understand. I was like that with my first, but I doubt I will be as shy the second time around. I worked in a male dominated environment (and a lot of single, clueless ones on top of it). When topics like that (or even birthing) came up, they were obviously uncomfortable. Right or wrong, I avoided talking about nursing or pumping with them. No one knew I pumped besides my boss. I kept my equipment in the locker room, my bottles in a lunch box in the fridge, and pumped for six months (quit working then). A few times I had a coworker comment about how much I ate with two lunch boxes... I smiled! I didn't need his support or understanding to provide for my child! Hopefully your sister wont either!

---------------------------------
Meg, mama to Joey (2/2010)!
Yeah I get it to a degree but I guess to me its just kinda silly. I am not one of those women who are totally comfortable with it and had to fight hard to get my family to accept my breastfeeding. I use a nursing cover and try to be discrete. Still no one could understand why I would do such a thing and I had to defend it regularly. As I said more than anything it kind of made me chuckle to myself. On one had for her because she shouldn't feel bad/ weird about just READING about it and on the other hand that the men she is around are really that weird about it.

Just to share a positive story I never had anyone say anything negative to me (outside of family members anyways) in regards to breastfeeding but one of the most positive experiences was a man I didn't even know. I was at my sister and my BIL had a friend over. I happened to be in the middle of BFing my DS right as he walked in the door. This guy was so calm and cool about the situation that I still remember it. He went to shake my hand and said oh your busy Ill catch you later. He sat down like nothing was going on and actually talked to me. I had found that a lot of people avoid talking to you while your in the midst of BFing. I guess what struck me the most was he didn't say anything directly positive or negative but acted like nothing was happening which was refreshing to a new nursing mom.

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 02-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.
FerventlyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote