Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

If the sippy cup, regular cups or straws don't work, we would put a few drops in the bottom of a straw and plug the top with our finger. It makes kind of a dropper. That was how we introduced water at meals but my son was a bit younger.

Physically I am sure he will be fine without eating, but I bet it could get very emotional for everyone! Hope you have a good time!

---------------------------------
Meg, mama to Joey (2/2010)!

Advertisement

RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Advice for my ANTI-bottle baby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
If the sippy cup, regular cups or straws don't work, we would put a few drops in the bottom of a straw and plug the top with our finger. It makes kind of a dropper. That was how we introduced water at meals but my son was a bit younger.

Physically I am sure he will be fine without eating, but I bet it could get very emotional for everyone! Hope you have a good time!

---------------------------------
Meg, mama to Joey (2/2010)!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
gem898
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had luck with latex nipples.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I can count on.... oh wait, none! LO never would take a bottle.... lol

We got this and he LOVES it:

These are easier to use, IME, because baby doesn't have to tip them up to get the liquid out. They can hold it below their mouth, like they naturally tend to, and just suck and the liquid comes up the straw. My LO was able to figure it out the first time with no help. Same with all of the EBF babies in our play group (where I found out about this awesome cup! )

Like the pp said, who mentioned it, the first couple times he would dribble a lot (we put only water in it) but he is now a pro! He has taken breastmilk from it, no problem. They are like $2.24 at Walmart.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 02-01-2012 at 07:21 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
I can count on.... oh wait, none! LO never would take a bottle.... lol

We got this and he LOVES it:

These are easier to use, IME, because baby doesn't have to tip them up to get the liquid out. They can hold it below their mouth, like they naturally tend to, and just suck and the liquid comes up the straw. My LO was able to figure it out the first time with no help. Same with all of the EBF babies in our play group (where I found out about this awesome cup! )

Like the pp said, who mentioned it, the first couple times he would dribble a lot (we put only water in it) but he is now a pro! He has taken breastmilk from it, no problem. They are like $2.24 at Walmart.
I might have to try those! Will giving him a sippy instead of a bottle cause more trauma emotionally if he's NEVER taken a sippy?

Should I just try it with some water before we go?

I don't want him to think mommy doesn't love him anymore!

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Babies love new things as long as they aren't too upset/hungry. Offer the cup early and often, don't wait for hunger cues. By the time he is hungry, he should have figured out "how" to use the cup and will be able to finish of enough milk to be satisfied.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommie View Post
I might have to try those! Will giving him a sippy instead of a bottle cause more trauma emotionally if he's NEVER taken a sippy?

Should I just try it with some water before we go?

I don't want him to think mommy doesn't love him anymore!
I agree with the pp that babies like new/interesting things and it shouldn't be upsetting to him unless he is already upset. But I definitely wouldn't wait to give it to him the day you expect him to use it. I'd start practicing a few days or more (if you have time) before.

I'd get one asap, put water in it and let him just play. Then we put a little diluted juice (to show him that other things can come out of it) and then, if you have time, I'd offer it to him with some milk (about 2 oz) and let him just explore it. The first couple of times, I'd just do water and just let him play. Don't push him to drink from it. He'll figure it out with a little "play time" with the sippy.

Then, when he gets it with your SIL, it won't be a totally foreign idea to him but its not like a bottle nipple or breast so maybe he'll go for it since its just different enough.

Best wishes!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 02-02-2012 at 01:57 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Mamaleah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He won't think you don't love him anymore...but he does know he has you wrapped around his finger, lol! He should be completely fine by this age drinking from a sippy cup and will probably really like it. I agree to try it out with him before he stays there. Also, if you try giving him a bottle, you should go by the age of the nipple even if he has never taken a bottle. As they get older their sucking gets stronger, so he would be fine with a fast flow nipple...heck asippy cup is going to be faster than a bottle anyway. I would leave a few options for him to have. I would be giving him the sippy to drink water from everyday so he can get used to getting food/drink from someplace different than you. Then he can be more self sufficient and not want to eat as often.
SAHM to Keila 9/08 and Brycen 10/10. Expecting #3 ~Our Rainbow Baby~ March 2015!
Mamaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #19
tiners17
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Jemilyon I need your Dr! With DD 1 I was fretting over so many family and friends bothering me about weaning and when I finally did at 17 mo. I wasn't ready! Now granted I was preggo and really wanted sleep (first trimester) so it was best for me to wean but with DD 2 I am a booby mommy for as long as it takes! And no worries anymore, I don't care what everyone thinks this time around!
tiners17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #20
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiners17
Jemilyon I need your Dr! With DD 1 I was fretting over so many family and friends bothering me about weaning and when I finally did at 17 mo. I wasn't ready! Now granted I was preggo and really wanted sleep (first trimester) so it was best for me to wean but with DD 2 I am a booby mommy for as long as it takes! And no worries anymore, I don't care what everyone thinks this time around!
He is very counter cultural. He learned from the Enuit women of Alaska in addition to his degrees and research. He gas good but very different advice for everything!!