Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
cooperden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stinky Dipes

I haven't had a whole lot of problems with stinky diapers up until today. I, unexpectedly and last minute had to head out of town and was gone a week. I left behind a pail of poopy diapers soaking in water and vinegar.

Today I went to wash them and they stink bad! I ran 2 rinse cycles with cold water and then ran 2 (or maybe it was 3) wash cycles with hot water with minimal soap (arm and hammer) and baking soda with adding a Downey ball of vinegar to the rinse. They seemed to smell fine when I took them out of the wash but when they were done drying I took them out and sniffed them and they STINK bad.

I recently (about 2 months ago) stripped my diapers. They seemed to smell fresh except it left the terry cloth feeling really stiff and rough.

Any ideas on what else to try to remove the stink? Does using vinegar ruin the dipes? Should I not be soaking on vinegar water between washes? I hate to leave them dry because of the staining. Also, does stripping dipes break them down causing them to wear out faster?

TIA!
Prudence

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
cooperden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stinky Dipes

Update: I just tried cranking the temp on my water heater and ran 2 VERY HOT wash cycles with just hydrogen peroxide (as suggested by another mama) and the smell is still there.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried boiling yet. Like for at least 10 minutes and then at least 3 times?
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
cooperden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No I haven't tried boiling them. Won't that break down the fabric? Do I do it 3 times in a row or dry them in between? What does boiling do to them to get rid of the smell that washing with extremely hot water wouldn't do?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm, I guess I should have asked are you using pockets or fitteds or AIO?
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
cooperden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oops. I guess I should have put that in my original post. I am using one size/fitted dipes.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #7
mvlg
Registered Users

I would not boil anything with snaps. I would keep the hot water heater cranked up, and right now is not the time to be using the soap/ detergent sparingly. Since the smells are really soaked in, it is going to take full strength soap to get it out. I mean the whole capful. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I would probably use some of my regular Tide that I use on our laundry. Something super gentle just can't handle what you have going on. Then, keep running HOT rinses (or washes) until you don't see bubbles. It will take a bunch to get all of the soap out, but I really think it should help your situation. If they still smell on the way out of the washer, put them in the sun for a day. Good luck, no one deserves stinky diapers.
mvlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i thought of 2 things. let me start out by saying i have not tried either of these, but have read of others doing them. the first is to do a hot wash with more than your regular amnt of soap, and rinsing until the suds are gone. the second is a bit unusual, and it was actually used to get rid of yeast, but this may help with stink too, not sure. after the diapers have been washed, put them in the dishwasher (yes, the dishwasher) on a sanitize cycle. if it is just stink though, i would think the first method would be your best bet. good luck, i hope you get this resolved soon!
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
LBroylesy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am having the same problem with some that I just bought (UGH!). I wanted to ask the OP if anything has helped.
LBroylesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
cooperden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried the hydrogen peroxide and that seemed to help. There is still a faint smell, but i think if i try it one more time with a bit more soap that will work well.

What I did was cranked the hot water heater up as high as it would go and did 2 wash cycles, one with a little soap and 8 oz (1 cup) peroxide. Then, before it drained I just turned the knob back to wash again and ran the cycle a 2nd time with the same water. Then I did a cold rinse.

Give that a try and see if it helps.