Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Help w/ EBF 6 month old suddenly vomiting... reflux? vaccines? allergies? Help!

So, my baby girl turned 6 months old today, and over the past 1.5 weeks, she's had several episodes of projectile vomiting. She'll start with a little cough, and then all of a sudden we're in for several rounds and we're all taking baths, showers, cleaning sheets, etc.... It's usually at night, and no more than once per night. During the day, she's been spitting up a bit more than usual, but not vomiting.

She has absolutely no other signs of illness, and she has typically not been a spitter upper at all - maybe a mild spit up once a week! This is very unusual for her.

Help - what could be causing this? She's exclusively breastfed and won't take a bottle. No sign of teeth - no change in my diet - no solid foods yet. Is she possibly overeating? Could an allergy have developed to something that I am eating? Is it possible to suddenly develop reflux (although I would think that wouldn't only be at night and it happens when she's sitting up as well as lying down). Could it be a reaction to the HIB vaccine she had 2 weeks ago? It seems silly to go to the doctor, but maybe I'll call tomorrow anyway....

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences! Thanks so much in advance!

Advertisement

CurlyQ215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I know they start spitting up more around then, but consistent projectile vomitting seems strange. Allergies can develop at any time, so I might start there if she really doesn't seem sick otherwise. Maybe keep a food/symptom diary: what you ate, when, when she ate, her stools, and when she vomits and spits up...?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
lil_filly
Registered Users
seller

My LO did that for several nights in a row round 3 months. Being this is my first I was super worried that something was horribly wrong. Where I live we only have locum Dr 's on call so going to the hospital after hours is a horrible experience...anyway we called the health link line and the nurse asked DH a 100 question all of which the answer was No. Feeling a little silly and obviously like newbie parents, the nurse said DD was likely over feeding causing her to empty out her entire feed. I started pulling her off sooner for feedings round "that" time and if no fussing I did not relatch her. She never had that issue again.

Long story short...maybe over eating.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
CurlyQ215
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help w/ EBF 6 month old suddenly vomiting... reflux? vaccines? allergies? Help!

Thanks! I am thinking it was an overeating thing as well.... I appreciate the tips!
CurlyQ215 is offline   Reply With Quote