Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
How do I de-institutionalize my brain?

I went to ps all my school life, and so have my children so far. I plan on hsing all 4 next year but I'm having a hard time relaxing my view of "school," as in, this is exactly what a child needs to learn at this time, then they move on to this, they have 4 days to learn this concept, etc. Deep down I know the beauty of hs is a child can learn at his/her own pace but a big part of me is having a hard time overcoming the ps mindset. So, can you give me more to think about from the homeschoolers point of view?

Advertisement

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I de-institutionalize my brain?

We are Unschoolers. I use to teach PS, so I totally can understand what you are struggling with. I don't know if you are a believer or not, but the best book I can suggest is Christian Unschooling (easy read at about 100 pages)! You are welcome to PM me if you'd with specific questions or to chat. I'd love to write more about your post, but don't have time right now. I just wanted you to know someone has been there done that. We've homeschooled (unschooled)for the past 6 years and LOVE it!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingmama4 View Post
We are Unschoolers. I use to teach PS, so I totally can understand what you are struggling with. I don't know if you are a believer or not, but the best book I can suggest is Christian Unschooling (easy read at about 100 pages)! You are welcome to PM me if you'd with specific questions or to chat. I'd love to write more about your post, but don't have time right now. I just wanted you to know someone has been there done that. We've homeschooled (unschooled)for the past 6 years and LOVE it!
Thanks for the book rec!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

We had a hard time with this to in the beginning. I didn't know what I was doing at first, (don't know that I really do now!) They way I've overcome this is by finding curriculums for each subject. My kids thrive with a "traditional" education. It took me a long time to realize this was okay for us. Now, we have our lessons layed out for us. If they're struggling on a concept we spend more time or find a different way to teach it. We thrive on our routine. If I had the beginning to do over again I would have gone to a homeschool conference, I would have really researched the different homeschool curriculums and paid attention to what type of learners my kids were.
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started homeschooling not too long ago anf can relate.
What helped me the most and is helping me the most is hanging out with other homeschoolers.
Just chatting with other homeschoolers and getting to know them, and seeing how smart and well-behaved their children are can be resuarring and inspiring. It also helped me see more and more how each family is choosing different methods and are doing just fine.
It's also reassuring to hear from other moms they are not perfect neither but they just strive to do their best.
So ask questions. We are happy to answer. Like I said, I'm a beginer too but you can pm anytime with questions.
There are how-so-homeschool books out there that are helpful to read. I think ladies here prob. have lots of suggestions.

As for deciding what children should know when and what you should teach which kid each week, I suppose it depends o your State too (????) but I think basically it's all up to you.

If you are overwhelmed to come up with lesson plan and schedule (what to teach each day), then purchasing a complete set can help you as most of them have detailed lesson plans inside. You just teach them in order they give you and do what it says. Choosing a curriculum can be difficult and one of the most overwhelming thing about homeschooling. Try checking out your local library to see if you can look at the sample of some of the homeschoolig resources out there. (Local library can be a great place for checking out homeschoolig basic books too.)

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
morethancjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hi a newbie here too! I struggle with this but Dh actually pointed something out to me that made sense.
Do you remember way back in english class when you were writing sentences for ever? All those improper sentences were actually history lesson. Think hard, it'll come to you. So if os can mix up all the subjects to reinforce them then hs can too!
As far as grade level and blah blah blah. I have one child who is way behind his peers and one who os trying to skip ahead for hers. So my kids are actually forcing me to give up the grade level stereotypes. I am slowly accepting this. Slowly.
For is we are doing a cyber charter for our 1st yr. Maybe consider that its a great way to get your feet wet. I am thinking that next year ds will continue in cyber. But I am starting to look at other option for dd so that she can advance at her own pace instead of waiting for the school to say she can advance to the next grade level.

$49 unlimited talk/text plus unlimited data!
morethancjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*hugs* i have gone through the same thing for the past year and a half! it is a very difficult process indeed. honestly, learning more about the charlotte mason method to hs has completely helped me in seeing learning in a new light. i have realized that i want my kids to develop a love for learning for a lifetime - that education isnt about going to school, or learning m-f from 9-3 - its about learning all the time from the world and people around us. its amazing what we can actually learn just by reading a good book.
http://simplycharlottemason.com/basi...-mason-method/
Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I would start by phoning the school board or the ministry of education. They will get you started on what is publicly available. You might be surprised. Here in BC you can get money, access to programs, classes... There are different 'streams' so to speak here too. Everything from doing the regular curriculum at home with support from teachers and the usual testing to not having anything to do with the school system and just signing off that you are educating your children yourself.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote