Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
aliciamarie632
Registered Users
seller

Re: Looking for some direction-kindergarten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA View Post
Hi there Alicia!

Welcoming to the homeschooling forum! Maybe a few years from now you will look at this situation and be grateful that things worked the way they did and you got the opportunity to homeschool your DS. I really didn't plan on homeschooling my daughters but when it came around the time to enroll my oldest in PS we decided to homeschool instead because of the crappy schools we have here. Now I say that I am glad Philadelphia has lousy schools because I wouldn't have chosen to homeschool otherwise but I see SO many other benefits to homeschooling. My oldest DD is now 11 and has never been to a brick and mortar school.

I don't have experience MFW or HOD but I do know some about K12. We didn't enroll in k12 (it is also free in PA) but I have a friend who has been using it at least 4 years. Like Shannon said it really is a lot of hours and you have to follow their rules. With having young children in the home you might need more flexibility than cybers offer.

Since you say you have a friend who uses MFW, I would suggest that you ask her to borrow the workbooks and other materials that she has already used so you can take a good look at it and make sure that you are pleased w/ it. Too often we buy something thinking we will use it and then we don't care for it. Since you live in an area where there are many homeschoolers using this curriculum I would suggest that you join some homeshooling groups for your area and ask around to get the package of books used. That will surely save you some $. Also I highly suggest to buy the curriculum used as well. Like I said many people buy stuff and never use it so you could get your curriculum (like new) at half price or better! Try to buy locally 1st because you will save on shipping costs but if you can't get it that way I would suggest that you look on-line. DS has a forum for homeschooling materials that you should be able to use.

I love that you are considering getting a membership to a museum. To save $ on memberships I would suggest that you look at groupon deals or goggle deals. A couple of wks ago our aquarium had a pretty nice deal on goggle deals. Also look at the local museums and see when they are free. Around here the science museum has a community night once a month for free (we go just about every month)! The art museum is pay as you wish the 1st Sunday of the month. This way your family can visit a variety of museums and not spend a fortune.

Feel free to ask any more questions and best wishes with your homeschooling journey!
Thank you for all the ideas! I will have to look into used curriculums-never thought of that! I already am feeling grateful for the opportunity to homeschool. It was something I had always thought about and knowing I'll have some extra time with DS is great!

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
aliciamarie632
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=lehcar_27;14617457]If u like MFW layout then u will like Heart of Dakota. They don't officially use grade levels but it goes by age. It is much stronger in history. Pretty light on science, but I think in K it is pretty easy to add science in. Go to the zoo, take hikes, go watch eagles, go to bird sanctuary, etc. HOD for me was easier to navigate. All the lessons r short like 15 mins or so. Perfect if u have smaller ones to care for. U can take lots of breaks when needed. HOD also has a yahoo group to chat with other parents and also has a separate forum to buy and sell used curriculum. I spent about 50 bucks total bc I got everything used.[/QUOTe

Thanks! What are the main differences between MFW and HOD? I don't know anything about HOD and their website was kind of confusing to me.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The HOD website can be really confusing! The catalog lays it out a lot better. I would suggest ordering a catalog from both HOD and MFW to get a better feel for them. They are free.

HOD and MFW are similar in a lot of ways but definitely have their differences. If you go to Google and type in MFW vs. HOD it will bring up a TON of threads, mostly from The Well Trained Mind forum, where moms who have used both compare their experiences. A lot of it comes down to small differences, like certain books used or the teacher's manual. Personally, I am tentatively planning on going with MFW. I like their scope and sequence better and love that an entire year is spent studying countries and cultures before starting the world history cycle. Plus you can combine multiple kids easier. They are both great though!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
aliciamarie632
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama View Post
The HOD website can be really confusing! The catalog lays it out a lot better. I would suggest ordering a catalog from both HOD and MFW to get a better feel for them. They are free.

HOD and MFW are similar in a lot of ways but definitely have their differences. If you go to Google and type in MFW vs. HOD it will bring up a TON of threads, mostly from The Well Trained Mind forum, where moms who have used both compare their experiences. A lot of it comes down to small differences, like certain books used or the teacher's manual. Personally, I am tentatively planning on going with MFW. I like their scope and sequence better and love that an entire year is spent studying countries and cultures before starting the world history cycle. Plus you can combine multiple kids easier. They are both great though!
Thank you! I do have the MFW catalog but I just requested the HOD now. I'm starting to check out the HOD board and googling up a storm Thanks so much!