Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
jkoopmans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Completely changing plans for birth?

Im in the exact same boat! (even about the same amount as to how far along ) ....money is definitely been the hardest part. Id heard that prorating is and option so had kinda planned on that, but so far in starting to interview the tiny handful of midwives in this area no one seems to be willing to go for it. I dont have $3000 to fork out on top of what Ive already paid my OB.... sooo frustrating! My fingers are crossed for both of us, goodluck!!

Advertisement

jkoopmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

My birth center is about 1.5 hours away, versus like 2 minutes for one hospital and 10 for another. The MW's have had quite a few women from my town deliver there, so they said they will recommend that I come in sooner than they would for a local woman.

I wasn't really keen on a homebirth, either. It was an option, but it wasn't something I felt strongly about either way. I've known for a long time that I don't want to deliver in a hospital, though. The birth center was an ideal choice for me. So if you still have doubts, explore all your options. You still have time!

If you find some places you like, don't be afraid to ask for referrals from previous patients so you can talk to them and get a good idea of the pros AND the cons. Everyone I've talked to has been more than happy to discuss their experience. My MW had plenty of references available to give me. I'd be nervous if a provider couldn't give me referrals.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
rachelmaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are nervous about a home birth, then by all means, use the birth center instead - especially if there are positive reviews of the place! As for the time in the car.... I can't imagine even a minute in the car being pleasant while laboring. But if the birth center is an extra 15 mins further than the hospital, that seems like a no-contest to me. Chances are the birth center will allow you more mobility/freedom to move around while laboring and not hook you up to five kajillion machines, forcing you to remain bed-ridden and/or on your back. Most birth centers usually also have a birthing pool, and you can use that hot water as a natural pain reliever. So, you may be uncomfortable in a car for 15 more mins, but IMO, the possibility of being more comfortable for the rest of your labor and delivery would outweigh those 15 mins, kwim???

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

I just can't bring myself to call the birth center. The thought of changing my plan now is seriously stressing me out, but so is the thought of delivering at the hospital. What if I had a doula at the hospital birth? Do you think that would help this time around, and next time I'll just go with the birth center...?
CutiePatootiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Only CNM's are allowed to legally do homebirths in North Carolina. There is one I know of that serves the Raliegh area (Carrboro Midwifery). I went to a birth center almost two hours away and the travel during labor wasn't that bad. I did the hypnobabies program so on the way, I just laid the seat back and listened to the tracks on my Ipod. I actually didn't transfer to there until 30 weeks. I would set up an interview w/ a hb midwife and the birth center and then go w/ what feels right. After having an out of hospital experience after two hospital births, I will only have a hospital birth if medically neccesary. It was so worth it. This time I'm planning a homebirth. Good luck!
http://www.carrboromidwifery.com/
Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23boyz View Post
Only CNM's are allowed to legally do homebirths in North Carolina. There is one I know of that serves the Raliegh area (Carrboro Midwifery). I went to a birth center almost two hours away and the travel during labor wasn't that bad. I did the hypnobabies program so on the way, I just laid the seat back and listened to the tracks on my Ipod. I actually didn't transfer to there until 30 weeks. I would set up an interview w/ a hb midwife and the birth center and then go w/ what feels right. After having an out of hospital experience after two hospital births, I will only have a hospital birth if medically neccesary. It was so worth it. This time I'm planning a homebirth. Good luck!
http://www.carrboromidwifery.com/
Thanks! I am really kicking myself for not just going with a midwife in the first place. We moved to NC in June and I found out I was pregnant in Sept, I didn't know anyone who had delivered anywhere besides the hospital, and I had some concerns about the pregnancy that I wanted to address so I just made an appt with the ob. I thought I chose a more natural minded ob, but am now seeing that I didn't. Now I am just not sure what the best option is.

One thing that I would love about the birth center is that if all went well we could leave that day which means I could get back home to dd1 and maybe just have my mom stay at our house with her until we get back. I probably won't choose a homebirth this time because we may be in the middle of moving, but I guess I'm just going to suck it up and contact the birth center. I have been so nervous about delivering at this hospital the whole pregnancy, and then 2 days ago I found out that it's on the fourth floor of the hospital. As silly as that may seem it totally threw me over the edge (at the hospital where I delivered dd there was a totally seperate part of and entrance to the hospital for the women's pavillion).
Sorry, just thinking out loud. I hate that I did this to myself!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Perhaps since you are already 24 weeks along, the cost with the midwife would be less (a pro-rated amount).

Check for the birth centers in your area and talk to the midwives there. Check with your insurance to see if there is one that is in-network for your insurance. If it IS, then chances are your deductible has already been met, so your out of pocket wouldn't be that bad.

Another option you have... finish your pre-natal care with your OB (since your payments do not include delivery) but then go deliver at the birth center. Your out of pocket cost for the delivery would probably be less than the delivery at the hospital.

In this case, I'd let the birth center know what you plan to do and why. And be sure to find out what the cost of the delivering there would be compared to delivering at the hospital.

Good luck!
God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to come back and say I (finally) contacted the birth center! They have a wait list for May so chances are I will not get in, but I went ahead and registered for a tour anyway. Then I have to have my records transferred to them to get a spot on the waiting list. I'm a little nervous about that. I dont know what my ob will say. I'll stay with my ob until/unless I get a spot at the birth center. So it's kind of like saying "I really don't want to deliver with you, but unless I get a spot at the birth center I'm going to have to". Can they drop me for doing that?
Anyway, I'm going through with this because it's what I *REALLY* want, and I'm just praying that by some miracle I'll get a spot. Although I haven't figured out whether we'll be able to afford it or not. But, if it's supposed to happen it will, right?!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
averysmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePatootiesMama View Post
Just wanted to come back and say I (finally) contacted the birth center! They have a wait list for May so chances are I will not get in, but I went ahead and registered for a tour anyway. Then I have to have my records transferred to them to get a spot on the waiting list. I'm a little nervous about that. I dont know what my ob will say. I'll stay with my ob until/unless I get a spot at the birth center. So it's kind of like saying "I really don't want to deliver with you, but unless I get a spot at the birth center I'm going to have to". Can they drop me for doing that?
Anyway, I'm going through with this because it's what I *REALLY* want, and I'm just praying that by some miracle I'll get a spot. Although I haven't figured out whether we'll be able to afford it or not. But, if it's supposed to happen it will, right?!
I seriously doubt the ob himself will even know that your records were faxed/mailed over. They shouldn't treat you any different. If they ask just explain you are exploring your options. I hope you get into the birth center!!
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
firefighterwife
Registered Users
seller

I believe there are a couple of good midwives in your area. 2 of my friends recently had homebirths in the Raleigh-Durham area. A good place for referrals would be at your local LLL or if there is a local Attached parenting group.

Oh, NM, I just saw your latest post. Hope it all works out the way you want!
firefighterwife is offline   Reply With Quote