Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Help, we cant do one lesson w/o trouble

My 4 year old goes to a public school preschool program but we like to work on stuff at home as well. He gets excited to start the lesson but quickly becomes upset and we pretty much both end up mad.

The other day he found his basic skills worksheet book and wanted to do a pattern lesson. We went over the same pattern, covering up the others on the page, several times. I even made the shapes out of construction paper to have something tangible to help him really see it.

He gave up after the third try. I tried my best to keep it fun with no pressure but he just got pissed (for lack of a better word. That's a very accurate description of his attitude!). His teachers say they never have a problem with him doing work and that he never gets upset. He does great with the patterns when he's allowed to watch Umi Zoomi.

Why in the world is it so hard for the two of us to do lessons together? I really wanted to homeschool but he does SO much better for other people when it comes to school. Is this common? Any way to make it easier for the both of us?

~Tyra~ mom to 2
more about me later
I now blog HERE!
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help, we cant do one lesson w/o trouble

I can tell you that I had the same experience with trying to help my own kids. I don't have an answer for you, only that I also experienced it. And I used to teach in schools. Kids did great for me in the classroom.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
My Mood:
Very common. It's the rapport you built early on. Not to say it's bad. But he's use to mama being mama and not his teacher.

I've gotten several kids in my classes over the years that are awesome in class and the parent are in disbelief during conferences. That can't be our child he doesn't want to do anything at home.

Instead of doing sit down at the table school work. Since he associates that activity with school and "you're not my teacher". Do more on the floor playing. Like get out the cars are unintentionally make a pattern with them. Dont go out right away and say "let's make a pattern"

**I do know how to iPod on the other hand does not**
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Registered Users

ditch the workbook style learning (even with visuals) and just make a game.. the best learning kinds 6 and younger (and argumentivly older) get is through play his schooling at this age should be primary play.
I can not spell and have no phone to blame things on.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Registered Users

oh yeah, this is completely common. for instance, my daycare kids are generally very very good for me and from the sounds of it, quite different at home. my own kids are supreme angels at church nursery, grandma's, the occasional day at daycare or with a babysitter and sometimes it is much more difficult at home. i think a lot of moms can relate to this. the best idea is what others have said....if you do any specific lessons at home, try a different approach than what his teacher is doing does at school. like you said, he is capable of it so it is just the dynamics between you and him that are making things challenging.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote