Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is this a type of learning style, or is he just goofing off?

My 6 yr old just goofs off. ALL THE TIME doing his school work. During his math lessons he'll dance and sing out the answers. During reading he will sing some of the words with long drawn out sounds.

It drives me INSANE!!

But I'm wondering.. do anyone else's children do this? Is this just how he processes? I mean, he goofs off in everyday life anyway, it's just his personality... so knowing that this is how his normal personality is (to act and sing and dance) should I just let it go, as long as he's doing his work? Or do I continue to tell him to calm down, sit down and focus?

Thanks
God bless !

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this a type of learning style, or is he just goofing off?

Mine (6 year old son) does it too. haha.
He loves to run around and dance during the math drill, when I say "Let's do the times table!" He'd start running back and forth between the dining room chair and living room sofa and flips around at the chairs while he says the times table. lol He also likes to try to say it fast.

When he looks bored, I have him compete with me to see which one of us can say it louder than the other.

I think part of it might be just kids being kids, or boys being boys... but if this continues on, it could be a sign that you've got a kinestic tactile learner who likes to use their bodies to learn. (but again, I know another boy (my son's friend) who likes to jump on trampoline during the study time, so maybe it's boy thing. lol )

I was wondering if it is ok to continue this or not.

i have been just accepting this as the way he wants to learn, and taking advantage of the fact he is being homeschooled, and he can learn the way he wants to learn, (or the way i decide he should learn) and not the way his school teachers decides, (i.e. you must remain seated during the math drill and say it in union. ) I thought why not. as long as he is having fun and learning, this is great!

He also sits for quite long time when he plays with my ipod. he also does not do the same thing while doing his worksheets, he just sits there and completes the task. (Once in a while, he gets sidetracked with whatever is on the desk when he gets bored.)

when he looks bored during the dull tasks (write the spelling words three times, practice cursive writing skill... etc. thigns he finds boreing), I try to make it fun for him by being goofy myself. Using silly voice, drawing pictures of characters he likes on his worksheets, I also named his study tools (pencil with cow print is Mrs. Moo Moo and our study clock (display clock) is Mr. Clocksworth) and I have them talk to him and give him a lesson too. that kind of things also kind of provokes him to act goofy himself. lol but as long as they are learning, I think there's no such rule as learning can't be fun. I'd do jumping jacks or obstacle courses if it helps. lol I want to invest in some puppets just to make learning sessions fun and not so much like a classroom time.

but again though, i do want to teach him that when requried, sitting still and paying attention is also an important skill to have. I think as long as my son has that ability, it is totally ok for him to be playing around during the study time.

I think there's a difference between "having fun while learning" and "just taking time learning and procrastinating/goofying off." To me, if my son is just having fun while learning, it's good, but if he is just taking his time and goofying off, then I have to instruct him to complete the task.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates

Last edited by angel nee nee; 02-10-2012 at 08:15 AM.
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks.

He sits still and does his worksheets with no problem. But while he's reading from the computer screen for his lessons, he like squats on his chair... rather than sitting on it. Or he'll squat on the chair with one foot on the coffee table. I'm always afraid he's going to fall.

And then he'll suddenly stop and ask me a random question that has NOTHING to do with his work, but he'll forget to hit the pause button, and then I'll have to make sure he backs it up so that he can do the task that the "teacher" asked him to do.

Funnix is an awesome program for us. HE read ME a story yesterday, and HE read ME a bedtime story tonight. He came across the word "wonderful." It was a new word to him, and he remembered it when it was used several more times throughout the book. So obviously he's absorbing. So maybe I'll just let him dance and sing as long as he's getting it done.

And you're right.. one of the reasons I chose to home school was so that we could adjust to their learning styles, no matter what that may be.

Thanks for sharing that your DS is the same way. It helps me to know that it can be normal for some kids.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes it is a learning style. Some kids learn much better while moving. Fidgets like small objects he can move around in his hands or stress balls can sometimes help keep him in his seat better.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStripe View Post
Yes it is a learning style. Some kids learn much better while moving. Fidgets like small objects he can move around in his hands or stress balls can sometimes help keep him in his seat better.
Thanks so much. So I guess as long as he's learning, I'll let him move and shake.

So glad you all are here to help.

God bless!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is so much a part of my son's learning style that when we do skip counting, we do punching at the same time. My 8yo is so active that we sometimes do spelling by throwing a ball and I will give him a word and he spells it while we throw a ball back and forth. I also incorporate a lot of silliness/movement into our morning because if I don't have him hopping, running and crawling around like a snake, he can't sit still. This is the beauty of homeschooling is you can do 20 minutes, let them play and do another 20.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

About a month ago I was helping my neighbor w/ her 2nd grade homework. We were working on her spelling words and she kept going over to our trampoline to play. We have a small indoor trampoline for 1 person. I would tell her I wanted her to finish her work before she started jumping. Then it dawned on me to use the trampoline. I would have her write a spelling word and then she had to run to the trampoline and I would count up to 15 then she would have to run back to the table and do another spelling word. It was SUCH fun. I am sure we will remember how we worked on the spelling words that day. There was so much laughter and cheering for her. I was having a great time and I know she was too.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote