Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do/would you use a kid leash?

About 9 months ago, I was at the grocery store with my baby and my toddler, they were not quite a year and then 2.5 at the time. The baby was in the seat of the cart, the toddler had been riding in the basket, but was done with that and she was "helping" me put stuff up on the belt, doing great. We finished up, she then "helped" me push the cart out of the check out.

We got about halfway to the front door when she darted around the cart, shouting "let's go home!!!" and running at top speed. I took off after her as fast as a mama can when she's pushing a grocery cart with her almost 1 yr old in the seat and full of groceries. She made it out into the entry way before I could catch her. Out of the corner of my eye I see a man standing in the entryway and I shoved my full cart of groceries with the baby still in the seat at him as he began to shout "I got it, I got it!" He obviously could see what was happening, but unable to do much else. He caught the cart as dashed after my 2.5 yr old, as she ran at top speed out the front door and into the parking lot/roadway in front of the store. Thankfully the car that I had spotted as I was running out the front door after her was not actually moving.

If I had put her leash on her that morning before we left, that would not have happened.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
StephanieMB
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have one and I've used it. We live in town and like to take walks. When toddlers first learn to walk, they don't want to ride in the stroller as much and they didn't like to hold hands either. With the harness, I could keep them closer, but they felt more like a big kid and could walk without running away. Also, my older girls (16 and 13) like to take the younger kids on walks. I have them harness the littlest ones who have a tendency to make a fast get-away, so everyone stays safe. There might not be a second chance if the harness isn't used and a toddler makes a bee-line for the street.

It's about safety and good parenting. Leashes (I prefer "harnesses") could be abused but a good parent will use them properly, as they were intended to be used.

I also work on training our toddlers to sit in the cart when we're shopping, or if they're too big for the cart, they have to hold on to the side of the cart. It doesn't take too many times of having to leave the store early, or missing out on a shopping trip because of bad behavior the time before, for kids to learn that mama means business and bratty behavior will backfire on them. :-)
StephanieMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Heck I only have one toddler and i DO use a leash!
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't. I would use the time until baby comes to do some serious child training. For us running off is NOT acceptable and results in punishment. If I ask my child to hold my hand, it is not an option. Just work though it and be consistant. My 2yo is strong willed and stubborn BUT she knows when we are out she absolutely has to behave and stay with us. Misbehavior and running off are NOT tolerated. If mine would keep running off, they would have to be in the buggy and not given the opportunity, whether they liked it or not. That is the consequence for running off....being in a buggy. Then I would progress to walking nicely holding my hand....again if they could not do that...back into the buggy. It just takes being consistant and time.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
I wouldn't. I would use the time until baby comes to do some serious child training. For us running off is NOT acceptable and results in punishment. If I ask my child to hold my hand, it is not an option. Just work though it and be consistant. My 2yo is strong willed and stubborn BUT she knows when we are out she absolutely has to behave and stay with us. Misbehavior and running off are NOT tolerated. If mine would keep running off, they would have to be in the buggy and not given the opportunity, whether they liked it or not. That is the consequence for running off....being in a buggy. Then I would progress to walking nicely holding my hand....again if they could not do that...back into the buggy. It just takes being consistant and time.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

I had one of my twins wear a monkey one when we went out to playgrounds and outings. He had a tendency to wander and I wanted to make sure if I was alone with them, I could grab him when I was taking care of his brother. Never ended up using the leash part, but it was nice to know I could easily grab him if I needed to.

He liked having the monkey hang out with him.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
reneaumommy
Registered Users
seller

I used one with DS1. My boys are 18 months apart. I wasn't really a fan. I'm not against them but wouldn't recommend them. My son would just try to pull away the whole time and soon learned how to unhook it. I tried it because he was a runner and he would just unsnap himself from the stroller and get out to run. At 4 he is doing so much better however at 3 we went to disney and he kept trying to run so we made him ride in the ergo to keep him safe.

Last edited by reneaumommy; 02-12-2012 at 03:22 PM.
reneaumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I havent had the need for one. I several very close age gaps and a SN DD, and dont see a point. The stroller works, and they have to hold a hand at all times.

I dont think they are incredibly cruel, but leashing my kid just doesnt seem like something I want or need to do.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #19
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're not there yet (as my 19MO twins are Ergoed in public (or in a shopping cart) but in the future when they're both down and walking around on their own....I seriously think I would want to use one of the leashes. Maybe not for like the grocery store (or even mall) but any kind of outdoor activity where there are tons of people and htey could easily get away it just seems like it would bring so much more peace of mind. So, when the time comes we will definitely consider it!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Yesssssss! I love the leash drama threads.

*runs for popcorn*