Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #51
Sunshine915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Our First Diaper Chat!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacifer View Post
Ok, what would you ladies suggest. I think actually sewing some dipes would help me have some faith for this preg. Plus, I really want to give them to my overdue friend so she can test them out for me and tell me how to improve them. I'd like to do a diaper shaped diaper with layers of flannel, terry, ...whatever on hand, sandwiched in the middle. Then use a cover. I was thinking flannel for the outer layer (for cuteness), and fleece for the layer against babe's skin for a more stay dryish thing. Elastic in the legs and a bit in the back. Velcro closure. So, with that plan, I have 2 questions. 1) will those take forever to dry, and 2) is the fleece on the inside a bad plan? I know my pockets have fleece on the inside and I always added another fleece liner for extra dryness b/c my babes get diaper rash easily. So how does this sound?
I've sewn nb fitteds just like you're describing and that system really does work well. The flannel makes 'em super cute, and the fleece is nice and cozy on the inside. However, I always have to machine dry them. I live in NH, and we have hot, humid summers so my fitteds took forever to dry. I line dry my flats with no problem, but the fitteds are definitely made for the dryer. I suppose if your climate is drier and/or you have a lot of sun, you may find that line drying works, though.

Advertisement

Sunshine915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #52
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do have a hot dry climate, but mid Oct - mid Nov?......not so hot. Usually some good sun though. BUT.....I guess I wouldn't mind machine drying just the NB stash. I don't machine dry my one size pockets (which is my whole stash) b/c I want them to last through as many kids as possible (and I'm hoping this one isn't our last), and I don't want the high machine heat to wreak the elastic.
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #53
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine915 View Post
I've sewn nb fitteds just like you're describing and that system really does work well. The flannel makes 'em super cute, and the fleece is nice and cozy on the inside. However, I always have to machine dry them. I live in NH, and we have hot, humid summers so my fitteds took forever to dry. I line dry my flats with no problem, but the fitteds are definitely made for the dryer. I suppose if your climate is drier and/or you have a lot of sun, you may find that line drying works, though.
Quick question......with the ones you made, how many layers did you put on the inside? And what did you use for those inner layers? And did you make that inner layer in the shape of a pad, or did you make it in the shape-ish of the diaper so that it was wider at the top and bottom?
THanks!
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #54
Sunshine915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacifer View Post
Quick question......with the ones you made, how many layers did you put on the inside? And what did you use for those inner layers? And did you make that inner layer in the shape of a pad, or did you make it in the shape-ish of the diaper so that it was wider at the top and bottom?
THanks!
I've done them a few different ways. My first batches were a layer of flannel for the outside, a layer of fleece on the inside, with a rectangular soaker sewn on the inside of the fleece layer to keep it in place. The hourglass shape kind of drives me nuts because I hate throwing away scraps! Anyway, the soaker would be 3 layers of terry for a newborn size. I think (if I remember correctly) I went up to 4 for the small size, but never did a larger diaper than that (truthfully, I much prefer flats and prefolds )

Another method which is my new favorite is to use multiple layers of flannel with no sewn-in soaker. Again, fleece goes on the inside and then either a layer of flannel or even a cotton print for the outer layer. I use 4 layers of flannel on the inside cut to the same shape as the outer and inner layers. This way the bulk gets spread out a little better, so you have less of a bubble butt problem. HTH!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #55
Sunshine915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Any knitters here? I keep wanting to love wool, and even made a couple longies and skirties for DD2, but never fully embraced it. I want to try again, though, because I looooove those cute little wool outfits. Although, truthfully, they can still go on over PUL anyway. But so many people are just so in love with wool and fleece that I keep feeling like I am missing out.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #56
aprilkek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Has anyone used Happy Heiny smalls with a nb/young baby? I got an amazing deal on some, so that is my plan. I have good size babies that fatten up really quickly, so I don't really want to invest in tiny diapers.

ZULILY! Join Swagbucks and Earn Free Money! Plum District The Mini Social Gilt Group One Kings Lane
aprilkek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #57
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine915 View Post
Any knitters here? I keep wanting to love wool, and even made a couple longies and skirties for DD2, but never fully embraced it. I want to try again, though, because I looooove those cute little wool outfits. Although, truthfully, they can still go on over PUL anyway. But so many people are just so in love with wool and fleece that I keep feeling like I am missing out.
I knit. My first well done project was a pair of pink longies for DD. Then I tried them and found out I hated wool. It's just not for everyone.

I might try some for the newbie stage when the umbilical cord is still on though. All other covers just seem to irritate it, ykwim?