Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What do you/would you LOVE to have in your schoolroom?

So when we moved last October one of the great things about our new house is that I get one room that will be my devoted schoolroom. With 5 kids (or more?) that will be HSing at one point, I wanted a place for all the stuff that's going along with that, a room I can shut drying art projects into and not have to worry about cats tracking glue and glitter throughout the house, a quiet place the kids can study in without distractions, etc. This room will also be my craft room assuming that one day I will have enough free time again to pursue my own interests, LOL.

Between having a newborn and working full time I'm just now getting around to working on that room. I'd like to have it fully operational by the time we start our next round of curriculum (mid-summer). We are still relatively new HSers, as my oldest is only in 1st grade so I'd like some input.

What do you have in your classroom/homeschool space that you absolutely cannot live without? What have you tried that absolutely does not work? If you were going to start fresh or were going to design your dream classroom, what would be on your must have list?

ETA: It's not a huge room - roughly 12x12 with a tiny closet.

Advertisement

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: What do you/would you LOVE to have in your schoolroom?

www.discountschoolsupply.com has a HUGE section of classroom storage items that might give you some ideas!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
srkobus
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wall to wall shelves!!!! you can never have too many shelves!!! and a kids level table...we bought one at ikea that has adjustable legs!

also, we are in cleveland!!! perhaps we have seen you around?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

A wall mounted drying rack!

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...02176205~~.jsp

And I will say I LOVE their old school desk. Like this. I found ours on craigslist for $10each
http://sarasota.americanlisted.com/b..._18036103.html

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 02-11-2012 at 08:12 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkobus View Post
wall to wall shelves!!!! you can never have too many shelves!!! and a kids level table...we bought one at ikea that has adjustable legs!

also, we are in cleveland!!! perhaps we have seen you around?
Possible - we live in South Euclid

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
A wall mounted drying rack!

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...02176205~~.jsp

And I will say I LOVE their old school desk. Like this. I found ours on craigslist for $10each
http://sarasota.americanlisted.com/b..._18036103.html
We have a Lakeshore store not too far from us; I want to check out what sort of organization stuff they have. I almost did buy a desk at a Big Red Wagon sale last fall, but it was a little Kindergarten-sized one and didn't have a chair and I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a small enough chair to use with it. I'm kicking myself now though.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would love to have a separate school room! Right now it's at the dining room table and I am constantly shifting piles. Also, ds is soooo distracted by the toys STARING at him from across the room since our kitchen/dining/play room are all meshed together!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is probably one of my favorite things in our school room, Kearnan's desk. It is styled like an old fashioned school desk and made all in wood. It is also big enough that I can sit at it so he probably won't be outgrowing it any time soon. The other great thing about it is the sloped writing surface, perfect for a sensory kid like Kearnan. We learned when he was 6 that if you put things on an angle he writes far better. All of his workbooks, pens, pencils and papers are inside the desk.

Tharen has a cute little desk with a big flat top and storage down the side which is neat but I don't like it quite as well as Kearnan's. The nice thing about Tharen's is that it was free.

I also love our bean bag chairs, perfect for when they need to sit and listen to history lectures or for reading time. They are also nice for when I am hanging around just watching while they do their work (if I don't hang around they tend to "forget" they should be working). Storage is the other important thing, we have a big room so we have bookcases and a 4 drawer plastic storage container.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote