Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Your favorite covers?

I've got a newborn and we've been using prefolds and newborn Proraps and love them. I like the extra leg gusset and the velcro. After she grows out of these, I've got 4 Flip covers with snaps. I thought I'd hate velcro because of it sticking together in the wash and collecting fuzzies, so I went with snaps.

I'm thinking about ordering a Bummis Super Brite and/or a Thirsties Duo wrap. Some of my questions are:

-Should I get snaps or velcro?
-Will I like the Bummis because it's more size specific than the one size covers?
-Do I need more than 4 covers? I wonder if I'll love the Flip and wonder why I even bothered with the other ones...

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Advertisement

greencrunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:
Re: Your favorite covers?

-Should I get snaps or velcro?

Totally a personal preference. When they're really little I like velcro because you can make the legs tighter for those teeny-tiny chicken legs. As they get older I prefer snaps because my kids learn how to strip off velcro diapers and covers by six months old.

-Will I like the Bummis because it's more size specific than the one size covers?

I prefer sized Bummis Super Brites to Thirsties Duos because you get a better fit and the snaps on the front that make it smaller tend to have whicking and leaking, especially in crawlers who spend a good deal of time on their tummies.

-Do I need more than 4 covers?

If you're using only these(no wool, no AIO/AI2's), I'd say six is a good number unless you're planning to wash every other or every day. Theoretically four could be plenty, but you just never know and I prefer to wash every 2-3 days and would allow for 2-3 covers per day in between washings.

HTH
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
FunLovinMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My rave covers are flips and econobum. I definitely think you need more than 4. I lie having plenty though. I prefer snaps as well.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i love thirsties covers, i've used both the sized and duos and i love them both.
aplix vs snaps? kind of a though one, the snaps last longer this is true, but it's just sooo much easier to get a good fit with the aplix.
i have used the bummis wrap and i wasn't a fan, i found it harder to get a good fit on the legs than the thirsties.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I think Gen-Y are my all time favs because I really like side-snaps. I love their funky fabrics, they're made in USA, they have excellent CS, and they've just been a really good cover for me. I can even use them at night with no leaks.

Last edited by hibiscus869; 02-13-2012 at 02:59 PM.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A good rule of thumb for # of covers, if you like to reuse them, is 1 cover for 3 inserts/diapers. Some people like more/less, but I think that's pretty average, and especially with infants pre-solids, the poo is more likely to get on the cover, so you want to have enough that you can change them fairly frequently.

ETA: Holy run-on sentence, Batman! Sorry.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

-Should I get snaps or velcro? Depends on what you like. I am normally a 100% snaps girl, EXCEPT when it comes to covers, and then I usually prefer aplix, especially on smaller babies.

I think you'll like Bummis. They have great aplix and are really durable. You might also want to think about the sized Thirsties covers, they fit pretty similarly to the BSB's.

-Do I need more than 4 covers? I wonder if I'll love the Flip and wonder why I even bothered with the other ones... You could probably get away with 4. We have had very few times where the poop leaks onto the cover with either a fitted or a snappi'd prefold underneath. Of course, my newborn poops a little about a million times a day, other newborns hold it up and have pretty explosive poops all at once. Unfortnuately, you won't know which your baby is until he/she gets here.

Good luck!

Last edited by fluffycheeks; 02-13-2012 at 03:33 PM.
fluffycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote