Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
jkoopmans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
NPR article: "Homebirths are becoming more popular in the US"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012...popular-in-u-s

Thoughts?

Advertisement

jkoopmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NPR article: "Homebirths are becoming more popular in the US"

It's not very well-written or informative....kind of like the same old thing, just said more poorly. NO statistics about the relative safety of homebirth, etc. So, kind of mediocre. I don't think it would affect many women's decision one way or the other, that's for sure!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've listened to it several times on my local affiliate station. I thought it rather well-balanced. A few reasons for it, a few cautions against. I don't think they ran the story in an effort to necessarily encourage or discourage future homebirths, just as a human interest piece that the rate is steadily increasing, though still a small percentage of overall births. Keep in mind that we're a particular audience; a large percentage of the population wouldn't even think of hb as an option...the audio on the piece is better than the written; they present the one woman (Miller) as an intelligent, articulate woman calmly & rationally describing why she though hb was the right choice for her. I think that's a benefit for hb advocates.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

That story (the article may have been different, but the gist was the same) made the news on CNN and MSN, too. I wasn't very impressed with it, even though I think it's awesome that homebirths are on the rise. I did like that the article mentions that babies born at home tend not to be premature or low birth weight. I think those are important considerations. I also generally like it being stated that there are plenty of women in this country who don't want interventions and definitely don't want unnecessary c-sections. It may not be the norm in most hospitals, but these sentiments do exist, and women feel passionately about them.

It just seems like there is a huge information gap when it comes to describing a "homebirth." I think a lot of people imagine an unassisted birth at home, which of course occurs, but that's not the only type of homebirth. It would be better, in order for people to get a good idea of the subject matter, for the range of options to be provided.

These articles also seem to leave out the fact that many states provide for midwives to become licensed and/or certified medical professionals. DH had no idea what a midwife was until 6 months ago! It's not like women go out and find a random stranger off the street to catch the baby, ya know?
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I've listened to it several times on my local affiliate station. I thought it rather well-balanced. A few reasons for it, a few cautions against. I don't think they ran the story in an effort to necessarily encourage or discourage future homebirths, just as a human interest piece that the rate is steadily increasing, though still a small percentage of overall births. Keep in mind that we're a particular audience; a large percentage of the population wouldn't even think of hb as an option...the audio on the piece is better than the written; they present the one woman (Miller) as an intelligent, articulate woman calmly & rationally describing why she though hb was the right choice for her. I think that's a benefit for hb advocates.
Yeah, maybe it would come across differently if I had listened to it instead of just read it
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
jkoopmans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
It's not very well-written or informative....kind of like the same old thing, just said more poorly. NO statistics about the relative safety of homebirth, etc. So, kind of mediocre. I don't think it would affect many women's decision one way or the other, that's for sure!
^ Thats actually pretty close to how I felt. Its kinda cool to get it out there a little bit and I love hearing about the rise, but it was just kinda ....'blah'. I was all excited when I was first shown it and I think maybe I just had higher expectations. ...lol not that it matters a whole lot. Just was curious what other mamas thought about it too.
jkoopmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
alliecatn1
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know homebirths aren't very common or popular, but I'm quite surprised the number is less than 30,000! That's not very much at all. That's less than 1.5 babies per state per day. I guess I just assumed the number would be a bit higher!

Over the moon!! After 17 months of TTC, our sweet miracle, Corwin Gregory, was born August 29, 2012!! ...And our surprise baby #2 is due April 16, 2014
alliecatn1 is offline   Reply With Quote