Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #21
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcima

Why is it perfectly "normal" and accepted for a 3-year-old to be walking around with a paci in his/her mouth 24/7, but it's abnormal, weird, etc. for my LO to still be nursing? This frustrates me to no end. I keep reiterating that this is what has been done for thousands of years, this is what we were designed (or evolved, whatever your stance ) to do. I am so frustrated with the breastfeeding ignorance in the western world. Someone recently asked me how often DD takes a bottle (in addition to nursing), and I told them she doesn't, they were shocked! As if you can't possibly raise a child without a bottle. Okay, I'll stop ranting
Love it!!! I feel the same way!!!!

Advertisement

FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #22
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411
Ds2 is 3 months old and has never had a bottle. I don't pump, either. This shocks ppl. I am also told I need to make him learn to sit in a high chair and such.
Sit in a high chair at three months!!! Are those people crazy!!! Do they realize he's only 3 months!!! He doesn't have the stomach muscles to do that!!! Wow!!
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #23
my5sons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "But isn't it weird?"

I'll be honest...when I saw my SIL still b****** her almost 4 year old daughter, it weirded me out a bit. I never criticized her or expressed any negativity about it though, because I'm not going to judge someone for doing things differently than me. I have nursed all mine to at least a year, with the last 2 weaning around 14 months or so. Weaning just seemed to happen naturally...it was never a forced thing, and there was never a specific timeline, it just worked out that way. I think it just depends on what works best for each baby and mama...I do think every mama should aim for bfing for at least the first year though, if possible. But no matter how long we do it, I think the most important thing is that we mamas support each other and stick up for each other!! :-)
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #24
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes
This was the question I got the other day about BFing my 27 month old.

My answer was "Why would it be weird, BFing him is what I have been doing since moments after his birth. Why would something I do everyday suddenly become weird based on a calender? What will feel weird is when he weans and I don't BF him anymore"
I totally agree. Especially with your last sentence!
I was just in the ER and was talking to the doc about a prescription I was to take and I said that I was nursing and I'd prefer not to take it an he said "you said you have a 19 mo old right?" and I said yep and he said "you're breast feeding your 19 mo?" and I said yep and he said "awesome" I cried I was sleep deprived and sick but that was sooooo nice to hear that response! Normally I get shock, awe and confusion.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: "But isn't it weird?"

I gotta say... even as someone who has nursed 2 babies to a year and never once found that 'weird'... that if I look at my now 2.5yr old and imagine nursing her I find that insanely weird. I'm not at all saying I think other people are weird for doing it. I couldn't care less who other people nurse but I can totally see why someone would think it weird.

Having said that.. asking the question is a bit rude. But on the other hand, if they don't ask, then they won't know that the mother doesn't find it weird.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote