Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Re: Would you ever skip newborn size?

I wouldn't skip newborn size but I hate bulky diapers. There is really no way to know how big or small a baby will be. I've had in this order, 8lbs 7oz girl, 7lb boy, 6lb12oz girl, 7lb 11oz boy, 8lb 5oz boy.
Its all over the place....lol

You can sell newborn diapers quick and recoup most of the expense or do a newborn diaper rental program.

Advertisement

Last edited by ServingHim; 02-16-2012 at 07:24 PM.
ServingHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD was over 9 pounds and was still in cloth for about a month before we moved into smalls/OS diapers. It was a couple months before I pulled out the Goodmamas (that was before the cute NB GM's).

You could always start with a stash of NB prefolds.. they are cheap and will work if your other diapers end up being too big.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaybrook View Post
My DD was over 9 pounds and was still in cloth for about a month before we moved into smalls/OS diapers. It was a couple months before I pulled out the Goodmamas (that was before the cute NB GM's).

You could always start with a stash of NB prefolds.. they are cheap and will work if your other diapers end up being too big.
This! No need to spend hundreds on a nb stash but I would always want one.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dele33 View Post
Have you decided what kind of diapers you're going to use after the newborn stage is over? There are lots of good diapering systems out there that will take you from birth to potty training without having to spend more than you have to.

For example, I use Applecheeks which is a very versatile system. There are 2 cover sizes that fit approx 7-20 pounds and 18-40 pounds. The inserts fit both size covers and can be stuffed inside like a pocket or laid in the cover like an AI2.

Short answer: No, I wouldn't skip newborn diapers. BUT my newborn diapers fit for months.
Oh yes, I love applecheeks!! I've also seen softbums on newborns that fit great, and they are OS.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwelton View Post
Oh yes, I love applecheeks!! I've also seen softbums on newborns that fit great, and they are OS.
lol, I keep forgetting there's no "like" button here!

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it is a matter of having strict limitations on budget and needing to really stretch your pennies, I would understand skipping newborn size. Although I would still encourage considering getting some flats so that you can get a good fit anyway.

If you can afford it, it is really nice to have newborn size diapers. Those early days are such a whirlwind of frequent changes and it is really nice to have something that fits well on those tiny little legs, under the cord, etc.

My DD was 8 1/2 lbs at birth and outgrew her NB stuff around 5 weeks. I used GMD prefolds and a variety of covers. I still use 6 of the prefolds as burp cloths and big wipies, my baby is 8.5 months old. I am saving the stash for future babies.
shen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
greencarnation
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got all one size diapers, as we are broke. They were all gifts. My son was born at 38 weeks and weighed 7lb 2oz. We used disposable for two weeks, at which point, he could fit in his cloth.
greencarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

me skip? never but I grown tiny babies. BTW my DH is 6 4 he was an 11lb baby... As for ours...
first kid - 6lbs
2nd kid 5lbs

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
cryswilkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't buy 36 AIOs, but I would get 24 prefolds or flats and 6 or so covers. Today I bought 12 used prefolds for $25 at a local CD store. It can be done cheaply.

cryswilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
luckyducky77
Registered Users
seller

I'm getting the imagine small prefolds that go from 7-17 lbs. I think genetics has a role in determining baby size. My family makes nothing but big babies. Twins that were born were each close to 7 lbs at 37 wks (2 sets). DH was small but his mom had hypertension issues in pregnancy and his brother was 8.5 lbs (no BP issues). If this baby is less than 7 lbs, I would be shocked. If it's less than 8, I'd be shocked! I'm mentally preparing for a 9 lb baby.
luckyducky77 is offline   Reply With Quote