Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
223Huntress
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple79vt
Has he been okay? Last I knew the infant Prevacid contained dairy. Took us forever to figure this out with our DD. The prevacid both masked and caused the symptoms.
Thats terrible! Did you then switch to a different med?

I'm intrigued by all of the experiences shared here. As I said before, eliminating grain from my diet cured my dd's reflux, but now I'm rethinking dairy also. I eat it every day. I had cut it out for 3 weeks and didn't see a difference in her, but maybe that wasn't long enough? I just know we both need sleep. Maybe I should try 4 weeks.

Advertisement

223Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #22
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Infant Dairy Allergy/Sensitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Huntress View Post

I'm intrigued by all of the experiences shared here. As I said before, eliminating grain from my diet cured my dd's reflux, but now I'm rethinking dairy also. I eat it every day. I had cut it out for 3 weeks and didn't see a difference in her, but maybe that wasn't long enough? I just know we both need sleep. Maybe I should try 4 weeks.
Did you look into all the hidden dairy or try soy elimination?

She is sleeping longer at night! From 9-5 she woke up twice to nurse(that I remember) Not including the 9 or 5:45 feeding. Today I did a morning routine trial run...gotta get up earlier to make it out on time.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
LilyOlivesMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple79vt View Post
Has he been okay? Last I knew the infant Prevacid contained dairy. Took us forever to figure this out with our DD. The prevacid both masked and caused the symptoms.
Yes, he's been doing really well. I've not heard that. I'll have to look into it. Do you mean how the compound the medicine?
LilyOlivesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyOlivesMom View Post
Yes, he's been doing really well. I've not heard that. I'll have to look into it. Do you mean how the compound the medicine?
Yes, they often use dairy as the binding ingredient for many meds. Docs just don't keep track of it. Our pharmacist has learned us well and is used to checking and rechecking ingredients. Compoind pharmacies can sometimes make things dairy free but to be honest I haven't gone through them because for the most part we've found alternatives.

My daughter is doing much better now. Once we took her off the prevacid she actually improved dramatically for the better. We also figured out that she had a yeast allergy at the time. She is 4 1/2 now and outgrown several of her allergies but still has some of the hardest to explain and deal with.
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #25
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Huntress View Post

You may need to try soy too. The milk and soy protein are very similar and often go together hand in hand. It took us 3 years to figure out all of my daugter's hidden allergies after thinking it was one thing, seeing improvement, and then realizing there were still more. The hardest hidden one of her foods to figure out was yeast. Here's why. She'd eat many fruits and react, eat bread and react. We thought maybe it was strawberries or a Hystamine reaction from them. Nope, a yeast reaction. Cut all fruits and yeast breads out of her diet and what a difference!

Hang in there everyone it does get better and the food changes become routine and easier to manage.
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote