Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how far would you drive?

I drive between 1hr and 1hr 30mins depending on traffic to my OB and their building is attached to the hospital I will deliver at.

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I drove 45 min even though I have options much much closer. I just trusted the setup at that distance more.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
crunch!910
Registered Users

I drive approx. 1 hr, 15 min to my midwives/dr's office. The hospital is 1 hr, 30 min. IF I wasn't a VBAC, I could possibly choose a closer family doctor/hospital, but because family doctors can't take on VBACs, I had to choose to go over an hour away to get my VBAC.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaelane View Post
I will say, I can't imagine fighting through traffic (or even my husband doing it) while in labor... Of course, I hate DC traffic! For me the only traffic I get is somebody going slow in front of me
Do you have alternate routes available? I have a couple of different ways to get to my birth center, if necessary. That makes me feel a bit better about the drive.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
CarrieMeredith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I drive 1 hour and 45 min unless it's heavy traffic. This is my third baby though, so I'm not so worried about having the baby in the car or something lol. If it was my first I'd be way to freaked out to drive so far. And, like a pp said, there is a Cheesecake Factory on the way so I always stop for a piece of cheesecake on the way home!

With my 2nd baby, my town hospital wouldn't do VBACS, so I had a great OB in my town and a back-up OB in a city 2 1/2 hours away. I only saw the back-up twice before the baby was born in her hospital. You might look at that option.

Last edited by CarrieMeredith; 02-17-2012 at 06:58 PM.
CarrieMeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #16
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmm, well for birth I would like to only be 10 mins away With my second baby we were staying in a hotel right next to the hospital and barely made it- I arrived complete. With my third I ended up going to a different hospital about 30 mins away and was induced but I was seriously scared when I was pregnant that if I did go into labor i wouldn't make it. ( Oh my third was OP-ouch! )
Old 02-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalynaa View Post
Do you have alternate routes available? I have a couple of different ways to get to my birth center, if necessary. That makes me feel a bit better about the drive.
Oh, by the DC comment I was referring to the others' comments. We have pretty much one way, though can vary on some older more rural roads if necessary. We live in the boonies. In Laws are in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaK View Post
Hmm, well for birth I would like to only be 10 mins away With my second baby we were staying in a hotel right next to the hospital and barely made it- I arrived complete. With my third I ended up going to a different hospital about 30 mins away and was induced but I was seriously scared when I was pregnant that if I did go into labor i wouldn't make it. ( Oh my third was OP-ouch! )
Goodness, I'm definitely not like you! I was in labor 36 hours, and then ended up with a c-section....so I'm thinking it'll be ok.

I'm also considering a homebirth, but I'm not sure what will happen if something happens and I need to go to the hospital (another c-section?).
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaelane View Post
Oh, by the DC comment I was referring to the others' comments. We have pretty much one way, though can vary on some older more rural roads if necessary. We live in the boonies. In Laws are in DC.

Goodness, I'm definitely not like you! I was in labor 36 hours, and then ended up with a c-section....so I'm thinking it'll be ok.

I'm also considering a homebirth, but I'm not sure what will happen if something happens and I need to go to the hospital (another c-section?).
are you in northern va? (feel free to PM me if you feel comfy sharing). I am in Loudoun County and there are some birth centers in the boonies of VA ....for a homebirth, depending on where you are, the MW would know where to go, etc. And it seems that a lot of times, a transfer from a home birth is taken care of before it becomes a true emergency (like the mom is too exhausted, failure to progress, etc).
Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
are you in northern va? (feel free to PM me if you feel comfy sharing). I am in Loudoun County and there are some birth centers in the boonies of VA ....for a homebirth, depending on where you are, the MW would know where to go, etc. And it seems that a lot of times, a transfer from a home birth is taken care of before it becomes a true emergency (like the mom is too exhausted, failure to progress, etc).
PMing you.....
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

withg no traffic i drive 45 minutes. thats for OB and perinatologist. if there is any traffic it can take 2 hours to get home:/
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote