Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

You can't switch docs?

Anybody heard of this?

I have a pg friend who uses the same clinic I use. It's a pretty big practice --- maybe 15 total docs, and 10 of those are OB's. We were both seeing GYN's who don't deliver babies anymore. When we found out we were pg, our GYN's named several OB's we could see in the practice. I had medication issues that needed to be resolved quickly, so I picked the OB who could see me the quickest. I think my friend did the same because she knew she would be high risk.

Anyway, she's about 18 weeks now, and she's heard some pretty bad referrals on the OB she picked. She asked the clinic about switching to another OB, and she was told that switching docs is not allowed in this clinic due to "professional courtesy" between the docs there. Neither of us has insurance that requires a formal change in provider or anything like that; it's apparently just a clinic policy.

I wasn't satisfied with my current OB, so I did switch this week to another OB in the practice. They didn't give me any problems, but my OB is moving, so I guess it's not considered "switching" since I have no choice but to see another doc. My situation is different than hers, but still... has anyone ever heard of that?

There are a LOT of other OB's in our town who take our insurance, so it seems like this clinic risks losing patients completely with this policy.

Advertisement

magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
ducky5306
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They can make up whatever rules they want within their practice. She can just switch to a different practice if she is unhappy. I was with an OB practice from 6-16 weeks and was not allowed to switch OBs within the practice but I switched to a different practice and see a midwife now I don't think that rule is very unusual among OBs.

The only place that let's me see whatevee doctor I want is my son's large pediatrician office.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

Re: You can't switch docs?

I guess I was kinda surprised because even though I saw the same GYN at this clinic for 15 years, I've also seen all three of the nurse practitioners during that time, and no one ever said anything. Actually, the receptionist always volunteered that the NP's could see me quicker if I wanted to see them instead of my doc.

I guess it's different if you're seeing two different doctors versus your doctor and a NP?

It's also kinda surprising because I don't think either of us knew when we made that initial appointment with our OB's... that was it. THIS is the doctor you will be seeing for your entire pregnancy. I thought it was more like a consultation. I mean, it didn't matter to me at the time because I liked the OB I was referred to. But now that I decided to switch to another OB, I'm glad the first OB is leaving the practice entirely... I guess I would be finding a new clinic otherwise!
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
ducky5306
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: You can't switch docs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalynaa View Post
I guess I was kinda surprised because even though I saw the same GYN at this clinic for 15 years, I've also seen all three of the nurse practitioners during that time, and no one ever said anything. Actually, the receptionist always volunteered that the NP's could see me quicker if I wanted to see them instead of my doc.

I guess it's different if you're seeing two different doctors versus your doctor and a NP?

It's also kinda surprising because I don't think either of us knew when we made that initial appointment with our OB's... that was it. THIS is the doctor you will be seeing for your entire pregnancy. I thought it was more like a consultation. I mean, it didn't matter to me at the time because I liked the OB I was referred to. But now that I decided to switch to another OB, I'm glad the first OB is leaving the practice entirely... I guess I would be finding a new clinic otherwise!
I *think* it's just different when you are going for OB/GYN care vs just normal GYN. I was able to see whoever for GYN care too but once I was pregnant it was only one doctor. and NPs are different. Normally they will give you an appt with a NP no matter who you see (Obviously a NP isn't going to be delivering the baby) I'm wondering if it's because the big money is when they deliver the baby?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
daisy7843
Registered Users
seller

I think that is pretty common in most doctor offices. I hated my kids neurologist and wanted to switch but was told the same policy. We thankfully got around it because a different doctor runs the MDA clinic which my kids were eligible for so we switched that way. You may have to switch practices to switch doctors.
daisy7843 is offline   Reply With Quote