Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Marchkins Chat 2/20-2/26

@ Sara: Love the newborn sleep sack and hat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMandy View Post
My best friend is a midwife and I know that sometimes she doesn't get anything to eat because she's bouncing from one birth to another and doing after care too. I have to say that it would be wise to consider your midwives and have a basket of things out for them. I don't mean to sound abrasive but the lack of a hospitable attitude really shocked me in these posts!!

I know you are the one laboring, but your midwife may have had an exhausting or even emotional day as well.
I recommend having some Clif bars, clementines and other fruits, pb crackers, and such available for them. You don't have to have a full meal for them, but it's good to have something filling and energy-giving available. You could throw in some bags of tea or leave out the coffee pot with a bag of grinds by it so they can get a caffeine boost.

I really encourage you to think of the people at your birth- not that you should serve them, but have things available for them to serve themselves. A hungry midwife is a cranky midwife!!!

Also, yes- people DO need to eat in the middle of the night if they are awake and using energy. If you're sleeping, you don't need a snack or meal because you are resting and your body is fasting!

Again, not trying to be argumentative, it just really stung to read those things. It's really not a huge deal to have some sandwich meat and some cheese in the fridge, and set out a bag of crackers or something. You want your midwives to have energy so they can be clear headed in case of an emergency!

Bah, I'm probably going to get beaten over the head for being argumentative, but I promise, that's not my heart here!
Eh, I don't think your post is argumentative at all. I do think it's odd that the MW would openly suggest that she NEEDS to provide food. I think most of us would be accommodating in providing maybe a platter of fruit, granola bars and muffins or something, but honestly, she is being paid to do a job that runs the risk of odd hours, you would think she'd carry/keep some snacks on her. Particularly with the understanding that we all have different eating/dietary needs/philosophies.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I also think it odd for her to suggest that Sara "needs" to provide the food. We are having our birth at a birth center run by midwives and we don't provide food for them, that is their responsibility (just as with any in home or hospice nurse etc situation). I am expected to bring my own food though (and for hubby -the doula said she will be bringing her own snacks but she is more than welcome to help herself to ours) to the birth center for the course of laboring which makes sense. At first when I read Sara's post I was thinking maybe the midwife meant more for Sara to have plenty of food/snack type items for herself and her hubby for during labor but that really is odd to me to require certain kinds of food for the labor team. I agree it couldn't hurt to have a bowl of fruit or something to offer (not something out of the ordinary that she wouldn't keep in her house anyways though -we too don't do sandwiches since we are gluten free).
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Still no baby. I did make my husband inflate the birth pool though because I have been having contractions every 15 minutes since midnight, so I'm fairly sure I'm in early labor....it's apparently going to take a while though. I was spoiled with a 6 hour and 2 hour labor for my girls, so I'm not sure what to think about this several days in labor thing. Hubby went to work today and chasing the kids isn't exactly easy mid contraction!

On a better note, I was so convinced I was going to have a baby last night that my house is now very clean and I cooked a ham and made 7 freezer meals. With my last baby, a whole bunch of people told me they would bring meals and only 2 actually did, so I took matters into my own hands. If people bring me food, it just means I'll have to cook less later.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.

Last edited by Squeaky McMurdo; 02-21-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
georgiasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
Still no baby. I did make my husband inflate the birth pool though because I have been having contractions every 15 minutes since midnight, so I'm fairly sure I'm in early labor....it's apparently going to take a while though. I was spoiled with a 6 hour and 2 hour labor for my girls, so I'm not sure what to think about this several days in labor thing. Hubby went to work today and chasing the kids isn't exactly easy mid contraction!

On a better note, I was so convinced I was going to have a baby last night that my house is now very clean and I cooked a ham and made 7 freezer meals. With my last baby, a whole bunch of people told me they would bring meals and only 2 actually did, so I took matters into my own hands. If people bring me food, it just means I'll have to cook less later.
]

Woohoo, another March baby on the way! At least your house is clean!

I was wondering about people bringing meals. I've had many people volunteer to do it, but someone else also told me that not everyone who volunteers a meal will bring one. So like you, I don't want to expect (nor feel entitled to) others providing our food for us. I will probably aim to have about 10 meals (or the base to 10 meals) in the freezer before I leave for the hospital.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiasmommy View Post
I've thought about bringing goodies to the hospital for the staff. A few friends work in L&D or the nursery, and they suggested bribing the staff with sweets. I want to bend the rules a little bit so far as my procedure goes, and the nicer I am to them the more likely I am to get my way.
ROFL! What are you wanting to do differently? Are you having a c-sec or induction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post

I hope you have that baby soon! I ALWAYS have many days, sometimes even a full week of labor that comes and goes, it's exhausting. Nothing this time, though. That is awesome that you got the house clean! I'm in the middle of doing that now, as I have a very strong feeling I'm having this baby in the next week or week and a half. Definitely in the next 2 weeks. I usually know about a week before hand, so we'll see. Of course, it would be nice to have relax time after I get the house completely done, and I'm estimating it will take me until the end of this week atleast.

I hope that baby comes for you soon!!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
georgiasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
ROFL! What are you wanting to do differently? Are you having a c-sec or induction?
I have a c/c scheduled for March 9 and am delivering at a hospital with very strict rules. No one is allowed in my recovery room, hubby is not allowed behind the glass in the nursery (he stayed right beside DD the entire time I was in recovery last time), and I cannot have my baby for at least the first 90 min or so. I am requesting DH cut the cord in the OR (not standard practice here), that he be WITH the baby after delivery up until he hands LO to me, and that they both come into my recovery once I'm stitched up, etc (and I would like to nurse at this time if needed). With DD, everyone got to hold her/gawk at her before I did because I was in recovery for THREE hours (ER c/s, they put me under g.a. for 2 hrs after delivering) and they gave her sugar water in a bottle while I was in recovery- made me SO angry!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I have a c/c scheduled for March 9 and am delivering at a hospital with very strict rules. No one is allowed in my recovery room, hubby is not allowed behind the glass in the nursery (he stayed right beside DD the entire time I was in recovery last time), and I cannot have my baby for at least the first 90 min or so. I am requesting DH cut the cord in the OR (not standard practice here), that he be WITH the baby after delivery up until he hands LO to me, and that they both come into my recovery once I'm stitched up, etc (and I would like to nurse at this time if needed). With DD, everyone got to hold her/gawk at her before I did because I was in recovery for THREE hours (ER c/s, they put me under g.a. for 2 hrs after delivering) and they gave her sugar water in a bottle while I was in recovery- made me SO angry!
Yikes, I'm thankful that hospital isn't mine! I hope you can get most of what you want.

Food - my midwife's assistant suggested that we have some food on hand for them, no big deal to me. She used to work with some midwives that had a specific list of food to have on hand, that part is a little crazy. I'm just planning on some granola bars and fruit and maybe sandwich things. DH eats sandwiches a lot so it won't be a big deal. I think it's considerate to have some food for them on hand.

DH is sick today. I pray that I or dd1 do not catch it. Got dd1 down for a nap now and I need to straighten up the house and get some lysol and clean or something.

Oh, food after baby. Our church does a meal train where different people sign up for a week or two to bring dinner when someone has a baby or other circumstances, it's very nice of them. And MIL kept us well supplied after dd1 so I'm not worrying about it much.

Last edited by lecialefty; 02-21-2012 at 11:48 AM.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
]

Woohoo, another March baby on the way! At least your house is clean!

I was wondering about people bringing meals. I've had many people volunteer to do it, but someone else also told me that not everyone who volunteers a meal will bring one. So like you, I don't want to expect (nor feel entitled to) others providing our food for us. I will probably aim to have about 10 meals (or the base to 10 meals) in the freezer before I leave for the hospital.
I normally have a couple of family members bring me meals, but they bring HUGE meals in dishes/platters that I end up having to wash! I've honestly thought about mentioning that I appreciate all the effort to want to feed us, but would really only like to have meals in disposable/recyclable containers.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another week closer for all of us!!

Had my 38 week appointment and everything is still going well here. This pregnancy has been so easy on me, I really hope that is a sign for an easy labor/birth

In my paperwork from my midwives it actually states we are to have food on hand for the team and ourselves. They said it can really be anything but if they are there for 12 hours than they do need to eat. I just have a list of stuff to make sandwich trays and some fruits/veggies and plan on either going in early labor or sending my sister. It really isn't a big deal to pick up some food for them and everyone else.

After my appointment I took DD and my niece to IKEA because kids eat free on Tuesday's, it was a madhouse! Never doing that again, especially alone with two toddlers and being about to deliver .
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Has anyone had contractions that didn't hurt at first? Or ones that just felt like tightening? Two days ago I started getting them, maybe just a couple that day (like 3-4 in a 12 hour period). The next day, I started getting 1-2 an hour. Now I'm getting quite a few in an hour, maybe almost every 10 minutes or so.

They don't hurt. They just feel like my belly is tightening, sometimes some of them feel like they are working/spreading the uterus area (hard to explain). But not painful. When I finally went into labor with the last 3, they were not painful, but they took my breath away from the amount of squeeze, and I could time how long they lasted. These are just ones I barely notice.

Are these BH? I've heard many women start labor with these kind of contractions, but for the life of me, I CANNOT remember what me pre-labor symptoms were. I just remember having contractions for a LONG time before real labor. I had days and sometimes weeks of labor that came and went. This time we started EPO early, so I will find out TODAY if I'm dilated or effaced (if my cervix isin't too high to check.. like it usually is).

Just curious if anyone has these as they get closer to the real thing, or if my body is just having a good time doing BH contractions.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote